PDA

View Full Version : Bad 94 octane in Detroit

Evan
06-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Just wondering if anyone else had any issues with the 94 octane in Detroit. Our engine wasn't running correctly all week, and we were unable to track down the problem until we got back home.

The fuel smelt like a combination of gasoline, vodka, and shit. (no kidding, that's as best as I can describe it) We pumped the tank dry, and filled up with local Sunoco 94, and the power was back.

Sunoco fuel in Canada is an entirely different company than in the US, so they are different fuels, but I would have thought that since they are similarly rated, the performance difference wouldn't be so substantial. We were likely down 5-10% power, and at times you could actually hear that it wasn't quite right.

I know the organizers recognized there was an issue with the 100 at some point, but anyone else have a problem with the 94?

-Evan Martin
Ryerson FSAE

Evan
06-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Just wondering if anyone else had any issues with the 94 octane in Detroit. Our engine wasn't running correctly all week, and we were unable to track down the problem until we got back home.

The fuel smelt like a combination of gasoline, vodka, and shit. (no kidding, that's as best as I can describe it) We pumped the tank dry, and filled up with local Sunoco 94, and the power was back.

Sunoco fuel in Canada is an entirely different company than in the US, so they are different fuels, but I would have thought that since they are similarly rated, the performance difference wouldn't be so substantial. We were likely down 5-10% power, and at times you could actually hear that it wasn't quite right.

I know the organizers recognized there was an issue with the 100 at some point, but anyone else have a problem with the 94?

-Evan Martin
Ryerson FSAE

Dan Deussen @ Weber Motor
06-03-2005, 08:31 AM
We (SVSU) have used Sunoco Ultra 94 pump gas for the last few years for all our dyno testing and driving. We never had any isssues with it. Based on the engine datalogging of lambda values, the engine ran the same at competition as it had back at home. Maybe you got somehow a bad batch of gas either right before competition from your local pump and had some leftover in your tank or you somehow got your tank filled with E85. Based on the smell you described I would go with the E85 problem.

Evan
06-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Daniel,

I didn't go with the car on the day we left, but far as I know, the car was tested on our way to Detroit and ran fine, then was loaded up with the tank mostly empty. Next fuel it got was the American Sunoco 94, or so it should have been.

I don't have much experience with E85, but would the engine even run with almost a complete tankful? I wouldn't think so, but perhaps someone knows more about it. We don't run closed loop, so I don't see how the ECU could accomodate in any manner for the difference. Also, wouldn't our gasoline friendly fuel lines and fittings be falling apart from all the alcohol?

I think if anything, instead of them getting a can of E85 mixed up with 94, perhaps the can ended up with a mixture of the two in it before it went in the car. I at least know it's not 100, because it's got such a distinctive smell. Again, did anyone else experience problems with the 94 fuel?

...for now I will avoid drawing parallels between American and Canadian beer vs. gasoline...

cheers!

-Evan Martin
Ryerson FSAE