PDA

View Full Version : Forward facing edges, a.k.a. end-plates?

Dunk Mckay
03-24-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm curious about whether or not front wing end-plates come under this rule:

B3.23 Front Bodywork
B3.23.1 Sharp edges on the forward facing bodywork or other protruding components are prohibited.
B3.23.2 All forward facing edges on the bodywork that could impact people, e.g. the nose, must have forward facing radii of at least 38 mm (1.5 inches). This minimum radius must extend to at least forty-five degrees (45°) relative to the forward direction, along the top, sides and bottom of all affected edges.

I'm guessing not or they essentially wouldn't be allowed. The only interpretation therefore, if they still count as forward facing edges, is that the 38mm radius only needs to be in a single plane (and then add on the 3mm edge to all bodywork rule on top). But then it does say "must extend to at least forty-five degrees (45°) relative to the forward direction, along the top, sides and bottom of all affected edges."

Is there a rule concerning wing end plates that clarifies this? Am I just trying to swim in a puddle? I'm just a little lost as far as interpretation goes on this one.

Dunk Mckay
03-24-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm curious about whether or not front wing end-plates come under this rule:

B3.23 Front Bodywork
B3.23.1 Sharp edges on the forward facing bodywork or other protruding components are prohibited.
B3.23.2 All forward facing edges on the bodywork that could impact people, e.g. the nose, must have forward facing radii of at least 38 mm (1.5 inches). This minimum radius must extend to at least forty-five degrees (45°) relative to the forward direction, along the top, sides and bottom of all affected edges.

I'm guessing not or they essentially wouldn't be allowed. The only interpretation therefore, if they still count as forward facing edges, is that the 38mm radius only needs to be in a single plane (and then add on the 3mm edge to all bodywork rule on top). But then it does say "must extend to at least forty-five degrees (45°) relative to the forward direction, along the top, sides and bottom of all affected edges."

Is there a rule concerning wing end plates that clarifies this? Am I just trying to swim in a puddle? I'm just a little lost as far as interpretation goes on this one.

Michael Royce
03-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Dunk,
Read Article 12 in Section B, specifically B.12.3.1.

Dunk Mckay
03-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Ok, so that does supersede the front facing edge rule for those elements, I just wanted to check. Cause obviously it applied for all rearward, upward and sideways edges and all those front facing but not at vehicle front (sidepods, etc).

It does almost bring into question the relevance of the above rule then, I suppose it still keeps those narrow front edges (especially ones on a stiff old nosecone) to a minimum so it is worth keeping.