PDA

View Full Version : Rob Woods.....

Rod Woobs
10-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Hey Rob,

It's been a over a year since you've been posting on this message board and u have a year of FSAE car building experience under your belt. I'd like to know how things are going with your team, your design and your ideas. How is the Brigg's engine development coming along, how is the solid axle w/ no diff idea panning out, how is the Rob Woods baha/sprintcar/fsae car coming together? I'm sure people out there on this board are anxious to know how your car is coming......

Rod

Rod Woobs
10-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Hey Rob,

It's been a over a year since you've been posting on this message board and u have a year of FSAE car building experience under your belt. I'd like to know how things are going with your team, your design and your ideas. How is the Brigg's engine development coming along, how is the solid axle w/ no diff idea panning out, how is the Rob Woods baha/sprintcar/fsae car coming together? I'm sure people out there on this board are anxious to know how your car is coming......

Rod

Chris Allbee
10-22-2005, 08:27 PM
nope, not really....

Erich Ohlde
10-22-2005, 10:04 PM
I'm gonna go with Chris on this one.

RiNaZ
10-23-2005, 01:45 PM
wooo hoo ... you guys are meannnn http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif heheh ... but count me in with Chris and Erich http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Brandon C
10-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Hey Rob since ur a pro at this can you sponsor us at Texas A&M Corpus Christi. We're a first year team, so if you could, you know donate a car, that would be great. HAHAHA

Faterooski
10-24-2005, 06:45 AM
Rob knows everything except how to respond to this....I love it.

BryanH
10-24-2005, 06:46 AM
Brandon I reckon a contra deal is possible, Rob is having development problems with the intelligent self learning fuel management system,
the monkey gets frightened on the tilt table and has occasionally spilt fuel out of the bucket and there has been serious issues with feedback on the testicle / TPS loop

rjwoods77
10-24-2005, 09:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Faterooski:
Rob knows everything except how to respond to this....I love it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really dont care. Bash away. The car and the team are coming along fine. Starting to build it in about 2 weeks. Since we actually made registration, people have a reason to sacrifice grades unlike last year were we just kinda stopped because there were more important things at hand. Keep making your cookie cutter car. Keep playing it safe. Be boring. Even if my car is a total flop it will generate more interest than anything you are working on.

Alan S.
10-24-2005, 09:33 AM
you know i like your sig...it fits for a mecanic not a engineer....

Faterooski
10-24-2005, 09:59 AM
"Cookie-cutter" cars have won how many times at FSAE? Just wondering. Cornell seems to "safely" kick everyone's ass year after year. We would eventually like to try new things and play with new ideas a little, but given we've built one car, I think we need to learn how to build the cookie-cutter ones first before we start trying to get too crazy. By the way, you never answered "Rod Woobs" original questions....

rjwoods77
10-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Like I said. Things are going good. You'll see it when we bring it. Other than that i dont feel like wasting my time with this stupid post. If people really were genuinely intersted in what we were doing then they would pm me about what we are doing as others have done so far. Otherwise, waste your time and bash away. Couldnt care less.

Mike Claffey
10-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Don't we have better things to do than talk shit about each other on the internet. The cars will do the talking, to bad ours won't be there.

Chris Allbee
10-24-2005, 11:07 AM
*bash*

VFR750R
10-24-2005, 05:12 PM
First, this post is long but my bloodpressure has been rising for some time, and its time to vent.

Rob, why did you start this post when you knew that people where going to 'bash' you, and you "don't care and don't feel like wasting your time with this post".

And I think I speak for everyone when I say you look stupid saying 'cookie cutter' cars; everyone brings a car with things on it that nobody else does. Spindles, geometry, brakes, suspension, engine package are unique to each car. The things that teams do in common are because they are a good engineering solution. Engineering is not about being different, it's about finding the best answer to a problem. You call it boring, maybe you should be an architect.

By the way, I'm glad you're bringing a car that you feel could be a total flop while some other team can't come to the competition with a car they engineered to win, instead of a 'it's better cause it's different POS'. If you feel your car is the best solution to the FSAE competiton, good for you, but everyone that comes to competition is building a car to score as many points as they can. Your ideas may be new, but I have a hard time with you supporting your arrogance against 20+ years and 10s of thousands of FSAE members before you. Do not underestimate the intelligence, workmanship, and desire in your competitors.

Your arrogance is unreal, and your ignorance unmatched. Almost all of your posts have condesending undertones, your responses are typically unuseful. Even your signature shows how much you care for this event. This is the worst most unprofessional post yet I have ever read on this site and no...nobody gives a shit how your team is doing.

I will no longer be posting to any thread already posted to by Rob Woods.

rjwoods77
10-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey,

Some idiot who has hacked my name posted this. I wasnt me. Maybe if you took two seconds to look then you would see this. So all you comments about me that relate to this you can eat.

How i feel about these cars is just my opinion. They are talking about changing the rules because things have gotten so stagnant. I feel the only way for teams to truely compete with the giants is to flip the script. Teams that have more money, more facilities, more talent are going to be beyond the reach of moderate to less funded and supplied teams. So I would say to engineer around this and that is exactly what i am doing. I am trying to build a lighter, simpler, cheaper car to compete because that is what i have to work and i honestly feel that it will do well in the competition. I realize there are comprimises with my design and i dont think it is the best. I think it is fairly original and I have the best hopes for it. My "complete flop" statement holds true to any team here. Best laid plans turn to shit when the comp rolls around for almost half the field because they were trying to engineer for something (to beat the giants in their own game that they do so well in) that is simply out of their league(our team being one of those). I post useful stuff on here in my opinion along with the obvious wise ass comments. Thats me. What can say? And when I ask questions i make sure i research it as much as practical instead of wasting peoples time asking why the earth is round like some do around here. I dont underestimate anyone. I just think it is talent that could be better utilized trying something new and fresh.

So basically it is my opinion, which is shared by some, and held as herasy from an idiot by others. Oh well. Try reading a little before you are so quick to jump on anyone without knowing your facts first. Facts like reading something as stupid as a name.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VFR750R:
First, this post is long but my bloodpressure has been rising for some time, and its time to vent.

Rob, why did you start this post when you knew that people where going to 'bash' you, and you "don't care and don't feel like wasting your time with this post".

And I think I speak for everyone when I say you look stupid saying 'cookie cutter' cars; everyone brings a car with things on it that nobody else does. Spindles, geometry, brakes, suspension, engine package are unique to each car. The things that teams do in common are because they are a good engineering solution. Engineering is not about being different, it's about finding the best answer to a problem. You call it boring, maybe you should be an architect.

By the way, I'm glad you're bringing a car that you feel could be a total flop while some other team can't come to the competition with a car they engineered to win, instead of a 'it's better cause it's different POS'. If you feel your car is the best solution to the FSAE competiton, good for you, but everyone that comes to competition is building a car to score as many points as they can. Your ideas may be new, but I have a hard time with you supporting your arrogance against 20+ years and 10s of thousands of FSAE members before you. Do not underestimate the intelligence, workmanship, and desire in your competitors.

Your arrogance is unreal, and your ignorance unmatched. Almost all of your posts have condesending undertones, your responses are typically unuseful. Even your signature shows how much you care for this event. This is the worst most unprofessional post yet I have ever read on this site and no...nobody gives a shit how your team is doing.

I will no longer be posting to any thread already posted to by Rob Woods. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frank
10-24-2005, 06:59 PM
"Rob Woobs" (the topic starter) is not the notorious "Rob Woods" (the target of the topic)

please also note: niether of these people are the renowned and respected Dr. "Bob Woods", faculty advisor to UTA

Frank

VFR750R
10-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Well, foot in mouth. I apologize for not paying closer attention to the name and other clues such as number of posts. I also apologize for some stong comments that do nothing to help this board.

In my defense, it wasn't even a question in my mind that you wrote it, given your previous record on this forum. And if you read your responses thinking that you wrote the orginal post...you may understand why i was upset.

I am also among the blind when defending my own ideals and engineering decisions, and as time comes to pass it just might be a 'radical' kind of car that dethrones the giants. All the giants could be optimizing the wrong car. I do still feel that a 4 cylinder car with a single isn't radical enough. You give up too much for too little gain...but there's my foot sneaking up again.

Rod Woobs
10-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Rob you say your team and car are coming along fine. I have it on good word that your frame is junk as you built it with too thin a wall thickness. So much for all the Baja building experience. Briggs motor is yet to run, let alone with any forced induction. Any truth to these rumours? If so what does that say about the amount of time you've wasted blowing hot air around this message board...... Maybe you should stick with a cookie cutter car, would have been done with it by now.

Rod

Chris Clarke
10-24-2005, 08:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rod Woobs:
Rob you say your team and car are coming along fine. I have it on good word that your frame is junk as you built it with too thin a wall thickness. So much for all the Baja building experience. Briggs motor is yet to run, let alone with any forced induction. Any truth to these rumours? If so what does that say about the amount of time you've wasted blowing hot air around this message board...... Maybe you should stick with a cookie cutter car, would have been done with it by now.

Rod </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, give it up. Nobody cares.

Also, if you are going to bash someone here, at least have the decency to use your own name and school.

BTW, with the safety rules, you would have to work really hard to make a frame with too thin wall thicknesses.

Denny Trimble
10-24-2005, 09:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Clarke:

BTW, with the safety rules, you would have to work really hard to make a frame with too thin wall thicknesses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't give (every team's) shop monkeys too much credit, now!

Frank
10-24-2005, 10:54 PM
well rob woods may mouth off a bit now and then,

but at least he contributes, a lot of people just surf here. Most of the "top teams" obviously refuse to post. I ask you, fear of looking silly, withholding "secrets", or is it the fact that their supervisors "teach" the whole damn project

some of rob's ideas are a bit whack, but some are ok

he reminds me a bit of the guy who was our first "technical director".. (no offense boris), the sort of headstrong bull you need to complete a first car, regardless if the car is good or not

"don't burn your bridges, unless they are made from magnesium"

Erich Ohlde
10-24-2005, 10:54 PM
We use tubes so thin for our chassis that they disappear

nick roberts
10-25-2005, 12:08 AM
Yeah, its a process we pioneered called Tubular Minimalistic Dismultiplication, its kinda like imaginary numbers in that nobody really understands it. But it got us 6600lb-degree of torsional stiffness so were pretty happy with it.

hey...i kinda like magnesium
nick
KU FsAE

Z
11-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Hey Rob,

Thought I would congratulate you on your SEMA design award on this thread! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Z

Homemade WRX
11-04-2005, 01:42 PM
sounds to me like some people have their panties in a bunch

Big Bird
11-09-2005, 09:05 PM
I haven't logged on here in some time, and on the first thread I looked at I found comments about how the tone of these forums had descended into ridicule. A few threads over and I find this load of twaddle. Good grief.

Firstly, if I found a thread opened solely for the purpose of sledging me personally I'd feel pretty damn insulted. Moreso if I found that some anonymous buffoon had posted it under a spoonerism of my own name. And then to find a whole pack of giggling idiots thinking it such good sport to jump in as well? Man, I thought most of us got beyond this at puberty.

I'll put in my 5 cents worth here and say I enjoy Rob's input. He's willing to think outside the square, and even if you don't agree with his philosophy there is a lot to be learned from thinking over an alternative point of view. I had never thought 4WD to be worthwhile or necessary for this event - but it wasn't until a post appeared here that I really started assessing what it does to the tyre contact patch, steering feedback, chassis geometry etc. So before we just start blindly bagging someone for using a Briggs & Stratton, or whatever other concepts Rob (or anyone else for that matter) is proposing, at least have the decency to consider where they are coming from and where their advantages lie.

Face it, we have been assigned a project to move a human body a certain distance along a road. That is all. As engineers this is NOT a difficult project. Yet, year after year barely 20-30% of teams manage to complete the project. Why? Because as soon as someone says the word motorsport, the red mist sets in and objectivity flies out the window. Year after year we see teams who believe that they MUST have big engines / lots of gears / differential drive / fuel injection / exotic chassis / blah blah blah just to compete - and then come to the realization that they've designed something so complex that they don't have the resources to complete it in time. Believe me, EVERYTHING in this project comes down to resource management.

My point? Rob is one of the few contributors to these forums who can still stand back and think objectively about what he is trying to design. He assesses what is necessary, what it will cost in terms of resources, and what the consequences are. And he is willing to share his ideas. Learn from it. Who cares if he is a bit abrupt at times, I thought we'd all be grown up enough to deal with it.

So congrats on your award Rob, don't mind the squawking children, and keep up the good work. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cheers,