PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki gsx-r600 Engine map Motec M4

naraba
01-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Does anyone have a basic motec M4 engine map for the gsx-r600 engine.
Really need something to get it started.

naraba
01-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Does anyone have a basic motec M4 engine map for the gsx-r600 engine.
Really need something to get it started.

repeatoffender
01-15-2008, 01:03 AM
ahahahahaha

**grabs popcorn and coke**

Pete M
01-15-2008, 04:57 AM
At the risk of disappointing repeatoffender, i won't make fun of you. Having never tuned your particular engine, i can't give you a map (usually someone else's maps won't work well anyway as it depends on your intake geometry, throttle size, etc). Some quick advice though:

Timing, for full throttle, just put a ramp starting at 15 degrees at 0 rpm up to 30 or so by 5,000 rpm and hold flat above that. 0% throttle, ramp from 15 degrees at 0 rpm to 40 degrees at 5,000, again holding flat above that. Interpolate between for intermediate throttle. That should be close enough to get you started, but you may be 10 degrees or more away from MBT timing depending on the engine (like i said, i've never tuned a GSXR).

Fuel, you know displacement, estimate volumetric efficiency, estimate manifold density and finally estimate air mass per induction. Flow test your injectors (just spray into a measuring cylinder or something) and estimate what pulse width you need to inject the desired amount of fuel (aim for 0.85 lambda/12.5:1 AFR to start with) and BS a quick fuel map (and i mean BS and quick :P). Play with the overall trim until it starts. Try and get it to idle at any rpm, don't be picky for now. Getting to this point is probably an afternoon's work if you don't have any other problems, and if you're like us, half of that time is probably finding a measuring cylinder, lol.

Then put the engine on load (on some form of dyno) and start tuning the fuel table with a wideband lambda sensor. Once that's done, dial in your timing. Iterate between fuel and ignition until you aren't making gains anymore.

Anyone with more experience with this engine, feel free to contradict me. No guarantees that what i told you won't result in equipment damage, injury or death (that's the standard disclaimer isn't it?). If you've got any questions, i'm happy to answer them.

ben
01-15-2008, 06:24 AM
Pete, that was a great post. It didn't give the OP a lazy free solution to the problem but a a methodology for solving the problem himself.

That's exactly what the board should be here for.

Ben

Kirk Feldkamp
01-15-2008, 02:01 PM
30 degrees is really conservative for that engine. I think I had on the order of 32 at 12psi of boost on a 2001 gsxr. These motors wont come alive with conservative timing in the midrange, so don't exepect to have anything less than maybe 28-30 degrees anywhere in the center of the map. When everything is said and done, expect peak timing on the top end to be in the high 30's or low 40's (NA). These tips can pretty much apply to most of the engines used in FSAE, not just the GSXR. Also, you will need to learn how to read plugs for signs of detonation!

I wouldn't even waste too much time with a preliminary fuel map calculation. In my experience you spend more time analyzing than you would just figuring it out on the dyno or the road. I think from a tuning standpoint, it's more important to learn what the motor likes and doesn't like based on the ECU data and with your ear. Unless you have some quality previous data to correlate with (and a boatload of experience), then you're going to have a bear of a time actually getting anywhere close on the fuel map through calculations.

-Kirk

Pete M
01-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah, on an F4, we're over 30 degrees on 18 psi of boost. Like i said, they were at least 10 degrees from MBT, just to get it to start. You could whack another 5 or ten degrees on the numbers i gave and it should be fine, although maybe don't run too much more cranking advance. And if anything looks like it's glowing absurdly, stop tuning fuel (unless it's very lean) and get your timing closer to being right first. IMHO reading plugs for detonation is sketchy, make a det can. The one we made in half an hour was amazingly effective. Even very light detonation is obvious. I question whether you could get it to detonate NA if you weren't running a serious compression ratio though. Umm... i am assuming in all this that this is an NA engine, right??

Well, fuel map option 2 is just set the map flat at a value, and play with the overall trim until it starts, then apply the overall trim and start tuning. You can tune some of the unloaded sites just reving it. Then look at your MAP value at those sites and multiply the fuel you're injecting at the part throttle site by the ratio of the MAP at full throttle to the MAP at part throttle to come up with the full throttle fuel (dodgy, but ballpark). Interpolate the columns and drive, working to higher and higher throttle, tuning with a lambda sensor. You really need a dyno to tune timing properly though. If you were desperate, whacking 10 degrees on the numbers i gave in my first post shouldn't break anything, but no promises.

With the preliminary map, you missed the part where i said "BS" and "quick" and then emphasised those. If you do 5 minutes of maths, you can put a pretty close value into the fuel map to what it needs. Or you can do 2 minutes of playing with the trim. You look a lot more competent to the rest of the team if you make up a fuel map that makes it start first time and lets you rev it straight away though. But like i said, BS and quick. It shouldn't look like a fuel map so much as 4 points interpolated.

Ian M
01-16-2008, 09:41 PM
We run an M4 on an RR, so if you have any M4 specific questions feel free to ask me.

Otherwise, Pete's post explains our 'starting from scratch' method to the T.