PDA

View Full Version : scrub,kpi,castor,toe in

fora
12-18-2007, 03:05 AM
hi ppl
i am really stuck up in my design phase of steering and suspension bcoz of kpi,scrub ,castor....i know wht the optimum range of these values should be but is their any mathematics behind determining these values ......looking forward for ur help
thanks

fora
12-18-2007, 03:05 AM
hi ppl
i am really stuck up in my design phase of steering and suspension bcoz of kpi,scrub ,castor....i know wht the optimum range of these values should be but is their any mathematics behind determining these values ......looking forward for ur help
thanks

HenningO
12-18-2007, 04:22 AM
The mathematics behind determining those values involves the geometry of your suspension/steering, to my knowledge there is no "formula" that can be solved to get your "optimum" value. If that's what you are asking?

fora
12-18-2007, 06:26 AM
my suspension design depends on the values of the angles ....well how should i check if the values of the angles which i assume or calculate is proper for my design .

Fyhr
12-18-2007, 06:59 AM
KPI and caster give you camber change when the wheel is turned, you can tune your angles to make these effects work for you. Scrub is the offset between the kingpin axis and wheel centerline, it affects the force required to turn the wheel as well as the forces acting on suspension components.

Depending on packaging you may be required to have a given amount of KPI to fit your upright and a-arms to be able to have enough steering angle at the wheel.

Read a few books, make a few simple models, find out what you want from KPI and caster, what scrub might be appropriate for good steering feedback start designing from what your research has given you. "One correct answer" does not exist here.