PDA

View Full Version : Chroming of chassis

Mikhil
04-18-2010, 09:56 AM
I want to chrome my Chassis and other components.
Will the chroming of MS CHASSIS effect the strength of the Chassis?

Hector
04-18-2010, 10:46 AM
First, why?
Second, WHY?!?
Third, I don't quite remember everything from my power transmissions class, but I seem to remember the professor mentioning that a lot of platings put the surface of the part in tension. Once a crack forms, the plating will actually help to pull it apart, potentially failing your chassis or other critical components. In the lecture he was specifically talking about shafts in torsion, but I'm sure it applies to anything in some sort of tension.

exFSAE
04-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Is it..? Oh yes. It's from India!

Adambomb
04-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Hector is right. According to Shigley's Machine Design, chrome plating can reduce fatigue strength by up to 50%. But sure, knock your socks off.

barba_p
04-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Chrome it!!!
That will be AWESOME AWESOME awesome!!!

Wesley
04-18-2010, 02:40 PM
If it looks like a troll, sounds like a troll, it's probably a troll.

moose
04-18-2010, 02:46 PM
We tried painting our chassis chrome colored a few years ago as a joke.. didn't work out as well as we hoped. (Partially b/c we didn't do a good paint job.. unlike the following year, the black still looks nearly spotless on that chassis)

Hector
04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Adambomb:
Hector is right. According to Shigley's Machine Design, chrome plating can reduce fatigue strength by up to 50%. But sure, knock your socks off.
Glad to see I wasn't just hallucinating... it was an 8:30 class, and after 4:00 A.M. nights in the shop, I'm surprised I remember anything at all.

KyleD
04-18-2010, 04:19 PM
While you're at it throw some 20" chrome wheels on it.

exFSAE
04-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Kyle that's completely unrealistic, and ridiculous.

Them wheels gotta be GOLD, 100 spokes.

Brian S
04-18-2010, 09:24 PM
You're joking, but we had a bunch of middle school kids come tour our shop. They were not impressed at all, and spent the time telling us that if we wanted to have a cool car we needed something bigger than 13 inch wheels. And hydraulics. "You need switched on the dash, switches!"

poe21
04-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Brian S:
You're joking, but we had a bunch of middle school kids come tour our shop. They were not impressed at all, and spent the time telling us that if we wanted to have a cool car we needed something bigger than 13 inch wheels. And hydraulics. "You need switched on the dash, switches!"

This fact really ticks me off. My younger cousins are the same way, telling me that the only cool car is the one with $100k worth of shiny stuff. They don't understand anything about making something that is well designed, just as long as everybody gawks at it when you drive it down the street. Sometimes I think that people want me to say " ...26" rims and a 4 inch lift on a 1990 Caprice? What an idiot!!" http://i.ytimg.com/vi/8MKziX07SlQ/0.jpg Gotta love tons of positive camber and turns at 10mph or less

vandit
04-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Not have much knowledge, but i was wondering what would be weight of so much plating? can it reach like half a kilo ?

nowhere fast
04-21-2010, 03:45 AM
Might want to read up on hydrogen embrittlement.

Ockham
04-21-2010, 07:02 AM
I like to deflate every half-baked bird brain pushing a sick whip with double dubs and fat hoops by asking about zero to sixty times, engine modifications, etc. To that shallow-minded, bling-addled species, chrome exhaust tips are a performance mod.

The scary part is; I live in the Motor City. You'd think we'd all know better here.

Kirk Feldkamp
04-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Chrome is light. Pick up an old, chromed bumper for reference.

MalcolmG
04-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Ockham:
I like to deflate every half-baked bird brain pushing a sick whip with double dubs and fat hoops by asking about zero to sixty times, engine modifications, etc. To that shallow-minded, bling-addled species, chrome exhaust tips are a performance mod.

I like to get on with my life and not concern myself with the thoughts or opinions of people whose priorties in life are obviously much different to mine http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Ockham
04-21-2010, 06:23 PM
I like to get on with my life and not concern myself with the thoughts or opinions of people whose priorties in life are obviously much different to mine

I just think of it as studying lower primates. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif