PDA

View Full Version : Wiring the in-dash master switch correctly

Damain
05-11-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm fixing up a few things with our car's wiring system and I just wanted to make sure that I'm following the rulebook to a T when it comes to the master switch. The rule for the switch specifies that it must disable power to the ignition and fuel pump(s), but that it can act through a relay. The way we have it now is that the switch only toggles power to the ECU. Because the ECU controls power to the ignition (by grounding the coils) and to the fuel pump (through a relay), obviously turning the ECU off also turns the ignition and pump off. This is perfectly fine, right? I just want to make sure this is direct enough, to avoid any nasty surprises come tech inspection time.

Thanks!

Damain
05-11-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm fixing up a few things with our car's wiring system and I just wanted to make sure that I'm following the rulebook to a T when it comes to the master switch. The rule for the switch specifies that it must disable power to the ignition and fuel pump(s), but that it can act through a relay. The way we have it now is that the switch only toggles power to the ECU. Because the ECU controls power to the ignition (by grounding the coils) and to the fuel pump (through a relay), obviously turning the ECU off also turns the ignition and pump off. This is perfectly fine, right? I just want to make sure this is direct enough, to avoid any nasty surprises come tech inspection time.

Thanks!

BrendonD
05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Ours are set up to kill everything like that, it sounds like yours will take everything out through the ECU too. I am told this is acceptable. If you hit the switch, and don't have power available at the pump or ignition circuits, you win.

Poe
05-12-2008, 03:13 AM
I can't remember for sure, but I seem to recall that they wanted our dash master switch to kill all circuits, just about the same as the master switch on the main roll hoop. We always used two in-car switches, one to turn on the main electronics and a second switch to turn on power to the coils/injectors/fuel pump. Both would turn off the engine, but the master switch turned off everything else at the same time.