PDA

View Full Version : Air Restrcitor: Trouble Interpreting Rules

Kyle Kapa
02-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Hello All.

New team here and we are having a hell of a time interpreting the rules on the air restrictor on the intake.

Does anyone have any good pictures of there system or maybe someone can explain it in very simplfied terms for me.

Thanks.

Kyle Kapa
02-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Hello All.

New team here and we are having a hell of a time interpreting the rules on the air restrictor on the intake.

Does anyone have any good pictures of there system or maybe someone can explain it in very simplfied terms for me.

Thanks.

Jersey Tom
02-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Pretty straight forward...

This is the only way you can run things..

Ambient -> air filter -> Single throttle body -> 20mm max diameter circular opening -> forced air induction system (optional) -> intake manifold -> engine.

mangel83
02-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Search!! here in the forum & on most team websites you can find lots & lots of pics of any kind of intake system, naturally aspirated, forced induction, with the tb behind driver's helmet, to one side, to the other, to the back, big plenums, small plenums, long runners, short runners, there are thousands of differents ways to build a system that complies with the rules, & there are even more pictures here on the web.

Chuck Dean
02-03-2006, 03:13 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jersey Tom :
QUOTE]

Kind of an arrogant comment. Intake design is certainly not "straight forward". I've read through three SAE papers from a certain university. That school increased peak horsepower "almost" entirely from intake design. They went from 60 to 80 hp NA. If you have tons of time dedicated to the cause, then yes, it becomes "straight forward." However, trying to nail an intake design from one initial design can become more difficult than one would expect.

Greg H
02-03-2006, 07:47 AM
FAQ's (http://www.formulasae.org/forums/formula/dispatch.cgi/rules/docProfile/100103/d20060122193044/No/3.5.4.3%20Restrictor%20Dims)
From the official web site FAQ's. Check the tolerance.

Garlic
02-03-2006, 08:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Dean:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jersey Tom :
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kind of an arrogant comment. Intake design is certainly not "straight forward". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Settle down. He's talking about the rules being straightforward. Nobody said anything about design. Geez.

Chuck Dean
02-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Sorry about that guys. Guess I should have read the original post huh? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

It was a little bit late, probably shouldn't have been on the forum in the first place.

Jon_Dal
02-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Is there anything to stop you from designing ram air scoops before the air filter?

Jersey Tom
02-05-2006, 10:44 AM
'Ram' air is legit as far as I know, but since the average speed of the course at competition is so slow, stuff like ram air and aero packages don't do much.

Chris Davin
02-05-2006, 11:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon_Dal:
Is there anything to stop you from designing ram air scoops before the air filter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ram air doesn't have any noticeable effect below about 150 mph, which, needless to say, applies to all FSAE cars. You can, however, design your intake so that you're not catching hot air off anything (exhaust, brakes, etc.).

Jon_Dal
02-05-2006, 12:45 PM
good to know....