PDA

View Full Version : Honda cb 600 rr coolant mass flow rates

Jimi
12-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey all,

I have been having a very hard and tedious time trying to get coolant mass flow rates off our stock honda cb 600 rr mechanical coolant pump without a flowmeter. Tried to use an orifice plate we manufactured but got inconsistent readings. Does anyone happen to have a chart of coolant mass flow rate vs. RPM values for this particular engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jimi
12-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey all,

I have been having a very hard and tedious time trying to get coolant mass flow rates off our stock honda cb 600 rr mechanical coolant pump without a flowmeter. Tried to use an orifice plate we manufactured but got inconsistent readings. Does anyone happen to have a chart of coolant mass flow rate vs. RPM values for this particular engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mikey Antonakakis
12-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Why don't you just fill a bucket?

Mehul Botadra
12-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Lol! And a stopwatch! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jimi
12-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Ya i know what your saying, but i was hoping for that method to be a last resort. We were hoping to get a bunch of flows all at different RPM values and figured it would be really tedious to do several readings. Thanks

ibanezplayer
12-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Well you probably have a mill/drill press with a reasonably accurate adjustable RPM. You should be able to do the bucket fill test with a few different speeds that way.

I don't remember the SAE paper name, but there is a paper where they analyzed the flow rate of I believe two different stock pumps (I believe one was the F4i). I remember the graph being unit-less, but I'm sure you can interpolate once you have some testing done.

Mikey Antonakakis
12-10-2010, 05:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimi:
Ya i know what your saying, but i was hoping for that method to be a last resort. We were hoping to get a bunch of flows all at different RPM values and figured it would be really tedious to do several readings. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's probably less tedious than being unsuccessful trying other methods http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kirk Feldkamp
12-10-2010, 12:22 PM
GEMS makes some decent, yet relatively inexpensive, paddle wheel flowmeters that are easy to work with. The different types are for different sensor output configurations. You'll just need to figure out what sort of inputs you can use with your data acquisition system.

http://www.gemssensors.com/content.aspx?id=3186

Find the density of the fluid, and viola... mass flow!

-Kirk

Jimi
12-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I never really thought of taking the pump out and hooking it up to something like a drill press. But I like the idea. And it defiantly works with our generous budget.
Thanks