PDA

View Full Version : Composites Modeling Questions

Matt Gignac
04-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey

Trying to wrap my mind around the following: How do other teams go about modelling anisotropic materials in radiused corners?

Can't really see how you could define your fiber orientations.

Or would it be a valid assumption to ignore the radius and make it a straight corner (if anything, I think this would underestimate the stiffness/strength)?

Matt Gignac
McGill Racing Team

Matt Gignac
04-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey

Trying to wrap my mind around the following: How do other teams go about modelling anisotropic materials in radiused corners?

Can't really see how you could define your fiber orientations.

Or would it be a valid assumption to ignore the radius and make it a straight corner (if anything, I think this would underestimate the stiffness/strength)?

Matt Gignac
McGill Racing Team

Tudor Miron
04-07-2005, 04:36 AM
MSC/Patran's Laminate modeler or it's very close analogue Laminate tools might be the only accurate way to provide your solver with realistic material arientation. Both has draping future. It will even calculate the degree of shear due to draping.

If that software is not available I suggest that you try and model it as "faceted" surface i.e. your fillet will consist of 5-6 flat segments so you'll have to define material orientation for each of them.

Thanks
Ted

Thanks
Ted