PDA

View Full Version : Is the sidepod considered a forward facing edge?

Kayfour
05-05-2011, 12:50 AM
I've had a bit of discussion in our team in respect to this rule:

B3.23
Front Bodywork
B3.23.1 Sharp edges on the forward facing bodywork or other protruding components are prohibited.

B3.23.2 All forward facing edges on the bodywork that could impact people, e.g. the nose, must have forward
facing radii of at least 38 mm (1.5 inches). This minimum radius must extend to at least forty-five
degrees (45°) relative to the forward direction, along the top, sides and bottom of all affected edges

Now this is what we were arguing about,
This rule is to protect someone who would somehow be infront of the car while its going forward, and by having a radius this would stop them from serious damage like getting speared.

My take on this is that this rule would mean that anything which is in the frontal surface area i.e nosecone, splitters would have to have a radius of 38mm,
however, the sidepods are behind the wheels, so if you were going to get hit, you would be rolled over by the wheel already, then basically this does not apply? I say this because the design i was contemplating is like a F-22 intake, where its a sharp forward edge? (though behind the wheels)

Others in my team say otherwise,
I have searched anything which could give me an answer but this has not really come up?

any help would be awesome!

Regards,
Danny

Kayfour
05-05-2011, 12:50 AM
I've had a bit of discussion in our team in respect to this rule:

B3.23
Front Bodywork
B3.23.1 Sharp edges on the forward facing bodywork or other protruding components are prohibited.

B3.23.2 All forward facing edges on the bodywork that could impact people, e.g. the nose, must have forward
facing radii of at least 38 mm (1.5 inches). This minimum radius must extend to at least forty-five
degrees (45°) relative to the forward direction, along the top, sides and bottom of all affected edges

Now this is what we were arguing about,
This rule is to protect someone who would somehow be infront of the car while its going forward, and by having a radius this would stop them from serious damage like getting speared.

My take on this is that this rule would mean that anything which is in the frontal surface area i.e nosecone, splitters would have to have a radius of 38mm,
however, the sidepods are behind the wheels, so if you were going to get hit, you would be rolled over by the wheel already, then basically this does not apply? I say this because the design i was contemplating is like a F-22 intake, where its a sharp forward edge? (though behind the wheels)

Others in my team say otherwise,
I have searched anything which could give me an answer but this has not really come up?

any help would be awesome!

Regards,
Danny

Francis Gagné
05-05-2011, 08:20 AM
I would think this is ok, seeing other teams with very sharp edges on sidepods.

Nonetheless, you should contact SAE rule committee for an official answer.