PDA

View Full Version : "g-g plot" of Formula Student track

Alastair Clarke
10-06-2004, 05:19 AM
Hi,

I'm looking for a lateral & longitudinal acceleration plot ("g-g plot") for the Formula Student track at Bruntingthorpe, UK. It's to help with the development of a set of load cases for the suspension components of our car.

We would have had one, but didn't get our datalogger up and running in time for the event.

Anyway, have any other teams got such a plot they'd be willing to share?

Cheers

Alastair

Alastair Clarke
10-06-2004, 05:19 AM
Hi,

I'm looking for a lateral & longitudinal acceleration plot ("g-g plot") for the Formula Student track at Bruntingthorpe, UK. It's to help with the development of a set of load cases for the suspension components of our car.

We would have had one, but didn't get our datalogger up and running in time for the event.

Anyway, have any other teams got such a plot they'd be willing to share?

Cheers

Alastair

D J Yates
10-06-2004, 07:57 AM
I've got the Honda GPS data from a couple of years ago. There's a g-g diagram from the endurance track on there. It's available through the imeche via email, although i can just email you a copy of mine if your interested.

Denny Trimble
10-06-2004, 08:38 AM
This isn't too relevant, but I can't help myself...

From our testing area, the Boeing Everett 747/767/777 plant:

http://students.washington.edu/dennyt/fsae/2003100403-DT-r7-corrected.jpg

The lot is decent asphalt, with quite a few undulations that probably helped with the 1.7g spikes http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Also, there weren't any long straights followed by sharp corners, so limit braking wasn't demonstrated. It was mostly transitions from left to right at high speed.

Ben Beacock
10-06-2004, 10:34 AM
This one is from the Toronto Shootout on the weekend. We only got 3 runs, but at least we have some data now.

http://www.vwot.org/community/modules/Gallery/albums/albuo79/G_G_Toronto_Shootout_Run_1.jpg

Alastair Clarke
10-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Thanks guys.

D J Yates - I'd be grateful for a copy of the Honda GPS data if you could email it to me, clarkea1@yahoo.com

Cheers

D J Yates
10-07-2004, 03:51 AM
Alastair,

I've emailed you the GPS data as requested.

Randy Van der Ree
01-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi guys, would you tell me how can I make those graphics? and what are they for?

UTA racer rikki
01-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Randy,

These are called g-g plots. They should be normalized with respect to 1 g of acceleration, not sure what Ben's scale is there. It is useful on two parts. You can see what the limit for your car's adhesion is on that surface on that given day. This data is collected from a accelerometer on an onboard data acquisition system. We use a "g-analyst" to measure our "g's" which has some filtering in it already. You can use this data for several things.

First as stated above, give you the limit of your car's adhesion for that surface. This gives you an idea of the forces your car might see cornering and accelerating.

Next, if your driver is really good, there really shouldn't be any points in the center of the graph. Of course there will be some from transitions left to right, but you should see a distinctive circle appear. The more a driver stays on this circle, the better their times will be.

The g-circle plots are developed from plotting the longtidinal vs. lateral acceleration (normalized) data that you recorded during a lap around the track.

The g-analyst also spits out the vector sums of the two. This basicly evaluates how well you maintained the traction limit. The only way to find a g-analyst now is to search e-bay though.

RiNaZ
01-04-2005, 07:24 PM
hey randy,
you can check out F1 2002 by EA games or F1 Career Challenge. Those two games have g-g plot in there that you can experiment with. Im sure you have it there in Venezuala, i met a lot of guys online while playing those games.

Awesome tool if you're new to the g-g plot.

Randy Van der Ree
01-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys

dfrVD
01-06-2005, 10:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RiNaZ:
hey randy,
you can check out F1 2002 by EA games or F1 Career Challenge. Those two games have g-g plot in there that you can experiment with. Im sure you have it there in Venezuala, i met a lot of guys online while playing those games.

Awesome tool if you're new to the g-g plot. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would you know if that G-G plot is included on the XBox version of F1 2002?

VD

RiNaZ
01-06-2005, 10:57 AM
hey dfrVD,
not that i know of, and i dont think they have F1 2002 on XBox. EA games stopped making F1 series after F1 99-02 Career Challenge, maybe becoz the licensing is costing them too much.

But it'll be worth it if you get the PC version becoz you can save and load all your files.

It's a great tool if you're new to vehicle dynamics and dont really know how understeer or oversteer feels like. Plus, you can be the driver and engineer at the same time.

they also got some other data that you can mess around with like your slip angles and chasis vibration and other advance stuff. Once you're really good at your driving, you can actually feel the difference when you make adjustment on your wings or camber.

of course, all of these wouldnt compare to what we have in real life, but it's still a great tool if you're really new to race car dynamics or cars in general.

dartmouth01
01-06-2005, 04:21 PM
If anyone knows where to buy a PC copy of either of those versions, let me know. A search of Ebay/Amazon/google didnt really turn up any places that sell them (not counting overseas sales on Ebay) though I did see several reviews for the game, so they should exist.

Thanks

dfrVD
01-07-2005, 07:32 AM
thanks for the info. Interestingly enough, after a whole lot of trouble trying to find the game, I did discover one ebay auction for F1 2002 on Xbox, even though the xbox web site claims they don't have one. He had the picture up and everything, it looks ligitimate. I'm goin for it, pretty cheap.

vd

RiNaZ
01-08-2005, 10:12 AM
try checking this out ...

http://www.chipsbits.com/

they might have one i think. Or you can buy a second hand CD from one of the people in the

www.simracingworld.com (http://www.simracingworld.com)