PDA

View Full Version : Hayabusa engine CAD model, anyone

jaker
09-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Does anyone have a 'Busa engine CAD model?

jaker
09-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Does anyone have a 'Busa engine CAD model?

Chris Allbee
09-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Are you even aware of why these forums exist? What purpose would one of these universities have to model a 1300cc engine when our restricted size is 610cc?

jaker
09-25-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm an FSAE alum, built a couple cars, etc. and now I'm looking for a 'busa engine CAD model for my next project - an FSAE car on steroids with two seats(so I can scare my wife!)

Nihal
09-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Ask the guy over at dpcars.net .
I think he is using a Busa engine, and hasa solidworks model of his car.

Kenny T Cornett
09-25-2006, 05:33 PM
http://www.dpcars.net/home/links.htm

It's there...

I have it from him that this is accurate to within about 1/4" . Dennis said DO NOT use this for hard tooling

drivetrainUW-Platt
09-26-2006, 05:11 AM
dpcars...didnt we ream that guy on here about a year ago for his $50 frame and $10,000 body and 8' of chain drive?????

Kurt Bilinski
09-26-2006, 06:41 AM
He just got it running last week - and development was more like $150,000 by the time it was done - and he isn't even using the real engine yet...

It's so expensive because he did no fabrication work himself; he designed the parts, sent them off for fab, and assembled the bits when they came back. Apparently he's already got enough orders for cars that he'll make his money back.

Kenny T Cornett
09-26-2006, 10:40 AM
His running video looks like it works alright. His center brake idea always seemed foolish to me and now he's going back and making it 4 rotors instead of 2.

It really did look fun though...

Sad thing is that he didn't do a bit of fabrication on that... he just made tons of Solidworks drawings and FEA'd them. I like the premise of the project, but his method leaves much to be desired.

It ended up being like 200 pounds more than he thought too http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Kurt Bilinski
09-26-2006, 12:14 PM
What he's doing isn't any different than engineers at a "real" company. They design them in CAD and off they go through the network, to return as finished parts. If they're lucky they get to play "assembler", but normally that's what technicians are for.

I can't fault him for his method. He's a far better engineer than fabricator, so where's his time best spent? Not cheap but probably the better route.

Ehsan
09-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Also remember that he is planning on selling these things. How many people would pay for your personal fabrication? It'll make a running FSAE car but will it be up to the quality of a professional fabrication shop with trained welders, machinists, and composite guys? Being an engineer does not qualify everyone as a "master fabricator"

For what he is doing, this is the only option. Now he has a professional looking car and he has suppliers for all his parts. He can make his necessary changes and have suppliers all lined up. His other option would have been to spend lots of money on a full shop and then still have to outsource the parts when it came time to build customer cars. Basically, he spent the money he would have spent on equipment on suppliers make the parts.

Cool project either way

B
09-30-2006, 11:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Does anyone have a 'Busa engine CAD model? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there is now a ZX14 (1400cc) out which has more power and torque than a busa... does anyone have or know where I could get a 3D model for this. I 2 have plans to make my own FSAE car on steriods.