PDA

View Full Version : monoshocks...

akshay verma
09-22-2011, 11:07 PM
hi..freinds ...its my first time to build a formula student car.please help me to deciede the suspension system to use....

akshay verma
09-22-2011, 11:07 PM
hi..freinds ...its my first time to build a formula student car.please help me to deciede the suspension system to use....

tgman
09-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Use the same suspension setup as seen on most go karts. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Probably the best place to actually start is to read a book titled "race car vehicle dynamics" by Milliken & Milliken. They cover anything that would be required to design the suspension for a formula sae car.

The design that is probably most suited for these cars is a double unequal length A-arm setup. Wikipedia should tell you enough about that to start designing something. Unless you have a nice design already put the mono shock idea away for a while and use a normal dual system.

If it is possible get a hold of a program called sysprog. It allows you to input your suspension geometry and then performs pretty much all the required calculations.

Look at what you want to achieve in terms and the characteristics of the rest of the car, from there work towards a solution.

PatClarke
09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Akshay,
Formula Student is a Design Competition! That means you Design a car, or in your case a suspension system. The rules state the car must have 4 wheels and must have a suspension system that permits a minimum of 25mm bump and 25mm droop travel from the normal ride position.
Within those parameters you can surely design some sort of mechanism to achieve this? Be an engineer, I know you really want to be!

Meanwhile, there is this wonderful tool you might not have heard of, it is called 'Google' and it is accessible from any computer connected to the internet.

With this wonderful search tool you can get literally millions of pictures, pdfs etc relating to FS and FSAE suspensions! When I entered 'FSAE suspension' in the search box, I got over 80,000 links! When I searched for 'Formula Student suspension', I got over 212,000 links! And thats without even trying. It works like magic! You can find SAE papers available for about $10 each! You can even find whole university theses if you look hard enough. Lordy, I even found links to stuff that I wrote!

When you have decided to look at the available resources and have enough ideas, you can then design a suspension.

You have no idea how much more satisfying this when compared with asking for a handout!
Oh, and thats what the competition is all about anyway!

Pat