PDA

View Full Version : dry sump pump

Ericyu
10-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a dry sump pump for Honda K20 engine, but I almost don't know anything about dry sump pump, so will you guys give me some suggestions? It's performance, reliability and price are all concerned important.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Eric

Ericyu
10-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a dry sump pump for Honda K20 engine, but I almost don't know anything about dry sump pump, so will you guys give me some suggestions? It's performance, reliability and price are all concerned important.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Eric

Boston
10-12-2008, 12:53 AM
This forum sucks...

J. Vinella
10-12-2008, 01:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Boston:
Boston sucks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow Boston, way to contribute (clap hands smiley)...oh wait you have not said jack shit since July.

I agree that there have not been many good open discussions in the past few years. We all have either become way too competitive and not willing to share knowledge OR there is so much great info already in this forum that people find it hard to contribute more. In the past there were great topics. I use the find feature often, but ideas change and maybe posting a similar topic is not a bad thing.

HOWEVER

Ericyu,

The FSAE competition would never use the K20 engine so you will not find first hand practical knowledge here. Try another forum for that. However the principal of a dry sump should not change much from engine to engine. My study has not been in engines so I must point you to the find button ( http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif) to help you. Beyond that good luck getting a response from us.

exFSAE
10-12-2008, 08:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Boston:
This forum sucks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How those pushrods doin?

VFR750R
10-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I'll answer this because what i'm about to say is also applicible to fsae dry sumps.

Weiss (super high quality), Barnes, weaver, auto verdi, pace, dailey engineering.

If you want to make crazy power with a dry sump, get a stage for each cylinder, section your oil pan so that there is no cross talk between cylinders and run another stage for the top end if it is feasible. that means 5-6 stage pump. 6-7 for fsae with a section for the transmission. (includes press section) i highly doubt there will be any bolt on kits, although dailey engineering makes integrated pumps/pans for ls1's and some other engines.

You'll have to get a bracket and pulleys ect or make your own. You should be able to get belts and pulleys from CV products.

I would also highly suggest scavenge sections to have lobes versus gears, but the lobes will give up vacuum sooner. So for racing-lobes, street-standard gears. If you run 6 stages you'll probably only give up a few inches of vac running std gears.

Put screens in your pickups in the pans so you can keep trash, from when you blowup, from getting in your nice new oil pump and tearing it up.

Oh yeah, you'll have to make an oil pan. With individual sections its best to make the pan really small with scrapers near the pickups. With non-sectioned pans the bigger the better.

you'll also need a dry sump tank. Patterson, peterson, moroso, stefs are all suppliers of pans and tanks, or you can make your own.

you'll need
1 line for supply from tank to press section of pump.
1 line for pressure to the remote filter
1 line from the remote filter to the engine
1 line for each section of the pump to the pan
1 line for return of scavenged oil to the tank

dry sumps have a tendency to run cooler, but racing (other then drag)will demand an oil cooler.
remote oil filters/bypass can also be found at cv products for both pumps with and without internal bypasses. Assuming your externally bypassed, you'll need a line from the bypass back to the tank as well.

Charlie
10-12-2008, 10:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VFR750R:
If you want to make crazy power with a dry sump, get a stage for each cylinder, section your oil pan so that there is no cross talk between cylinders and run another stage for the top end if it is feasible. that means 5-6 stage pump. 6-7 for fsae with a section for the transmission. (includes press section) i highly doubt there will be any bolt on kits, although dailey engineering makes integrated pumps/pans for ls1's and some other engines.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Define 'crazy power.'

Sure there are some theoretical benefits to this and likely some measureable ones, but nothing huge, and possibly nothing at all. Not exactly 'crazy power' by my definition.

VFR750R
10-12-2008, 10:49 AM
alright, i retract. You'll get all the benefit possible of having the dry sump.

Macros
10-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Maybe try http://www.k20a.org/