PDA

View Full Version : Bellmouth Supplier

Ian G
02-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Hey everyone,

I've looked through the archives, I've done a decent search of the internet and searched through most mass circulation racing catalogs, but I can't find a supplier for bellmouths our size and wall thickness. Is anyone willing to share their supplier's information? We'd like to avoid machining these pieces if at all possible.

Cheers,

Ian Greig
University of Windsor Formula SAE
Team Manager

Ian G
02-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Hey everyone,

I've looked through the archives, I've done a decent search of the internet and searched through most mass circulation racing catalogs, but I can't find a supplier for bellmouths our size and wall thickness. Is anyone willing to share their supplier's information? We'd like to avoid machining these pieces if at all possible.

Cheers,

Ian Greig
Team Manager

VFR750R
02-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Never used them, but found them.

http://www.velocity-of-sound.com/commerce/search/produc...110&merchant_id=2107 (http://www.velocity-of-sound.com/commerce/search/products/?product_id=VS36_110&merchant_id=2107)

Jersey Tom
02-08-2007, 08:01 PM
VoS makes nice ones. Pricey though.

We make our own now. Make a die, anneal some tube, run em on a press. Works amazingly well. You can even get good 180 degree wrap around.

Ian McMurdo
02-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Velocity of Sound is in Australia, but their prices are in U.S. dollars. Does anyone know where the parts are actually shipped from? I have a feeling our university's purchasing department is going to laugh if we ask them to order anything from Australia.

Jersey Tom
02-08-2007, 08:54 PM
They are actually shipped from Australia... thus expensive.

repeatoffender
02-08-2007, 09:11 PM
hey,

you could always make your own, either press them or spin them up on a lathe if you have workshop access.

that way you could make them any way you want.

jeff-NIUMS
02-08-2007, 10:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ian McMurdo:
Velocity of Sound is in Australia, but their prices are in U.S. dollars. Does anyone know where the parts are actually shipped from? I have a feeling our university's purchasing department is going to laugh if we ask them to order anything from Australia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We got some from them and shipping was about $25. They're nice pieces, but I think next time we're going to try making our own

nickerss
02-09-2007, 01:18 AM
We've gotten a set each of the last two years from them and are very happy with them. Our purchasing department is atrocious but they seemed to handle it just fine.

oz_olly
02-09-2007, 01:43 AM
I'm not sure if the sizes these two companies make will suit your application but I have been dealing with Jenvey in the UK and TWM Induction in the US. www.jenvey.co.uk (http://www.jenvey.co.uk) and www.twminduction.com (http://www.twminduction.com). Prices are fair, TWM sells spun 6061 trumpets that you can weld to your own mounting flange if theirs do not suit. Hope it helps.

Cheers

Olly

Team Leader
ACME Racing

Ian G
02-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks everyone, the help is much appreciated. Like I said I'm trying to avoid machining our own, due to time and machine constraints. Considering the price, I believe we'll make our own 180's next year. hah.

Cheers,

Ian Greig
Team Manager

Parker
02-09-2007, 07:20 AM
We have four on the way from VoS. once your order clears it takes about 7-10 days to get to you (they ship via airmail)

Tom I would be interested in seeing that die you guys made...

JuicedH22
02-09-2007, 04:58 PM
We make our own as well, not optimized as there is not much of a taper, but it still showed visiable improvements on the dyno vs. straight pipe.

IMAGE REMOVED

apparantly, "some people" think that posting a picture of a bellmouth is giving away confidential information.... riiiight

MMORTL
02-12-2007, 01:32 PM
The Velocity-of-sound bellmouths are a good product. I have purchased their product before and was very pleased with it. The bellmouths are of high quality and are very similar from one to another. This was a problem that we had with other manufacturers. I would recommend their product to any FSAE team to use.

Parker
02-12-2007, 07:24 PM
I agree, we got ours in today and they are top-notch, very consistent!

SpdRcr
02-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Last year we made ours with a die and some heat, worked alright, had trouble getting wrap around...This year we played around on a mill and came up with somethin that looks a little better than the V.O.S. stuff. If we knew about V.O.S. we may have gone with them though.