PDA

View Full Version : The heat of exhaust and the fuel tank

Albatross
02-22-2005, 04:01 AM
Hi,
anybody knows anything about the distance I should keep between the exhaust manifolds and the fuel tank? Just to avoid any dangerous situation..

Albatross
02-22-2005, 04:01 AM
Hi,
anybody knows anything about the distance I should keep between the exhaust manifolds and the fuel tank? Just to avoid any dangerous situation..

Greg H
02-22-2005, 04:34 PM
1/4" if you can find something to put between them. Are you forced to work with open air? Try this link (http://www.epp.goodrich.com/fyreroc/applications.shtml). I don't know much about the stuff but I've seen it working.

kozak
02-22-2005, 09:55 PM
i am planning to just heat wrap the exaust, have an air gap between that and the fire wall maybe 3 inches and then have a fire wall of sheet alum and the tank on the other side. if it is still to hot you can get automative insulation like dyna-mat or something like that.

BStoney
02-23-2005, 08:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kozak:
i am planning to just heat wrap the exaust, have an air gap between that and the fire wall maybe 3 inches and then have a fire wall of sheet alum and the tank on the other side. if it is still to hot you can get automative insulation like dyna-mat or something like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be careful if you choose to use Dynamat...it is very heavy and is a sound deadening material, not a heat-resistant material. It gets very pliable and rubber-like when heated only a small amount and can end up coming off in a "goo", even if you use the "Extreme" which has a foil-like backing...

kozak
02-24-2005, 08:53 AM
yeah i wasn't planning on dynamat in particulat i just couldn't think of another kind, but some sort of high temp automotive material.

BStoney
02-24-2005, 11:50 AM
kozak,

I see you are from Dayton. We should coordinate and get some practice together. Any interest?

kozak
02-24-2005, 03:08 PM
sure i'd love to but we don;t have a car yet, we are right now designing and building a car. however i'd love to bring my team to come see your car if possible or something like that. let me know what you think