PDA

View Full Version : Catch Can Volume Verification

BigJake
07-28-2004, 05:52 PM
Has anyone had a judge verify the volume in their catch cans? If so, how do they do it?

BigJake
07-28-2004, 05:52 PM
Has anyone had a judge verify the volume in their catch cans? If so, how do they do it?

Brian Smith
07-28-2004, 07:06 PM
We had a quart size radiator catch can and our judge was praising us. He said it was so large that it could hold the amount of water flowing over Niagara Falls. A quart is the minimum size allowed.....

-
07-28-2004, 08:29 PM
I haven't seen a Tech judge check to see the capacity of a overflow tank though I would imagine that they could remove the tank and fill it with either water or oil to see if it meets the requirements. Personally, if a tech judge asked me to verify the capacity, I would hand gladly hand him whatever tools it would take to get the tank off the car, but that he would have to figure out how to test it.

Denny Trimble
07-28-2004, 09:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -:
...Personally, if a tech judge asked me to verify the capacity, I would hand gladly hand him whatever tools it would take to get the tank off the car, but that he would have to figure out how to test it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BULLSHIT!

If the tech judge wants you to do something, you either graciously try to convince him why you don't need to do it, or you do it happily. He's the one who allows you to compete with the vehicle you just spent a year creating.

One simple test - take a 1L water bottle and dump it into your overflow bottle. If it "overflows", too small. If not, OK. The judge would probably accept that as a valid test.

MikeWaggoner at UW
07-30-2004, 09:54 AM
32 oz beer cans. Anyone found them? I've done extensive research (sorry, liver) but haven't been able to find them. Ball canning makes them but didn't respond to my email.

ReadySetGo
08-02-2004, 12:16 PM
You could be like us and use Heiny cans. Through extensive testing, we found these cans to have the best strength to volume ratio. All the other cans were too thin. Try crushing a heiny can on your head! haha. The judges even liked them!