PDA

View Full Version : Intro to Race Car Engineering - Rowley

Anvit Garg
05-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Hey guys I did a search and I dont see any updated threads for the new 3rd edition of this book.

The book is http://www.rowleyrace.com/publications.htm

and looks very promising. From what ive read, it is more organized than the RCVD book.

Does anyone have a review? Also does anyone know if the author provides group discounts? They havent replied to my emails..

Anvit Garg
05-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Hey guys I did a search and I dont see any updated threads for the new 3rd edition of this book.

The book is http://www.rowleyrace.com/publications.htm

and looks very promising. From what ive read, it is more organized than the RCVD book.

Does anyone have a review? Also does anyone know if the author provides group discounts? They havent replied to my emails..

vivy
05-25-2008, 09:55 PM
There are few reviews on the forum about that book anvit, I had bought this book around 7mnths book, I can assure this book has the best article on tires ever i read.. Comes with a quite useful wingeo software as well as calculators on xcel sheet ,, And author will xplain the topic with reference to these calculators and the software...R.C.V.d just an overview buddy, if u are ready for the in depth knowledge , this book is for u ... This book was recommended by a design judge last year in formula student 2007 .. they are not any group discount and email wont work with them . just try call on that no.. given on site... i got the buk within 13 days of ordering on phone.. Wat the best part is the book explain to real race car examples , how the numbers are manipulated , thats wat we have to do at the end..
The reply is updated pat http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Vivek Bithar
Delhi College of Engineering
Defianz racing
2k6,7,8

PatClarke
05-25-2008, 11:01 PM
I see a 'buk' turned into a 'book' so this post isn't needed any more =]
Thank you Vivy (But there is still some 'text talk' in there)
Pat

vandit
05-25-2008, 11:23 PM
there is a difference in both the books....i certainly agree that 'rowley' has best explanation of tires, that even 'paul' doesnt have.....but 'rowley' is much software oriented, it teaches you everything w.r.t wingeo softwares and hence it's not certainly useful for absolute beginers.....whereas RCVD is bible as far as FSAE is concern and it is better start for understanding the basics of suspension and other stuff....but ya always different people have different views, but the bottom line is that both the books are must to have in your workshop....

Anvit Garg
05-26-2008, 09:58 AM
what about paul's book? I cant seem to find it.

Mike Sadie
05-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Shanky is most likely referring to Racing and High-Performance Tire by Paul Haney. It is available on SAE and amazon.com

Anvit Garg
05-26-2008, 05:13 PM
oh i thought it was that Race Car Engineering and Mechanics book. It is quoted 100-150 used on amazon. But I THINK i found the author's website which says 24$

vandit
05-27-2008, 02:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Sadie:
Shanky is most likely referring to Racing and High-Performance Tire by Paul Haney. It is available on SAE and amazon.com </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ya exactly mike...i was talking about paul haney....it is also very good book and have much more literature about tires than 'rowley'....i havent actually gone through paul so far, but my juniors did and feedback was good....but i read 'rowley' for tires and i was in love with that book....basically my perception is

for tires - first rowley than haney

for suspension - first herb adams than RCVD than rowley

Anvit Garg
05-28-2008, 09:14 PM
ahh ok the Haney book was quite affordable on Sae.org with a member discount (ended up covering shipping).

Thanks for the input guys.

Anvit Garg
06-01-2008, 09:33 AM
USPS delivery driver left a slip on the 28th of May saying my book was delivered to my apartment's manager's office. No one has it, and the manager at USPS doesnt care since he insisted I tell him what was in the package, and the word research book just got him to hang up on me.

DONT SHIP FROM THOSE BASTARDS

Anvit Garg
06-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Wow ok so I just got both books. The Rowley book was mis-shipped by USPS, then UPS delivered the Haney book to another apartment complex.

I must be laced with bad luck.

The Haney book looks great, its only about 280 pages with no math equations, just graphs, pictures and text, so it should read within a few days.

The Rowley book is very nice, it even recommends attending the Roulle seminar, as well as the milliken book as a supplement. Ive read a couple chapters so far, and the tire explanation is a lot easier to understand than by reading Milliken for the first time.