PDA

View Full Version : Axle Cutting

Nishant Jain
06-18-2008, 06:55 AM
I know this topic is discussed before. But nobody seems to have quite the exact same problem here.

I have a set of splined shafts we bought from TRE. I initially anticipated having to cut them off from both ends to fit in as my rear axle. But the shafts we have are just the size that I cant cut from both ends without completely cutting off all my splines.

I need to know what some of the other teams do to cut axles to reqd length? Is welding a good option, seeing as how it may reduce strength? Or can I use a coupling? What kind of approach should I have??

Nishant Jain
06-18-2008, 06:55 AM
I know this topic is discussed before. But nobody seems to have quite the exact same problem here.

I have a set of splined shafts we bought from TRE. I initially anticipated having to cut them off from both ends to fit in as my rear axle. But the shafts we have are just the size that I cant cut from both ends without completely cutting off all my splines.

I need to know what some of the other teams do to cut axles to reqd length? Is welding a good option, seeing as how it may reduce strength? Or can I use a coupling? What kind of approach should I have??

Bandit_06
06-18-2008, 08:24 AM
TRE offers several length axles to cover a wide range of finished lengths. It is hard to believe you were not able to find one that fit your application, you probably just ordered the wrong length.

You should not ever be in a situation where you need to weld 4340 Steel. Especially on an axle.

Drew Price
06-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Nishant,

Ditto, the TRE halfshafts are surface hardened for strength around the splines, and left softer and more ductile in the center for better fatigue life and shock load resistance. Welding the shaft will take the heat treat out of the shaft, and depending on the power you put through it there is a chance it will break off at the weld.

I have exchanged halfshafts with Taylor for a different length before, assuming you have not already cut into it, and the paint is unmarred, things like that. If it is still in brand new condition just get hold of Taylor, and arrange to exchange it for one the right length.

If you absolutely ever have to weld a shaft loaded in torsion, do some research on how to correctly design a sleeve to reinforce the joint, do not just butt weld the two halves together. You can counteract the reduction in the strength of the shaft around the weld a little bit by increasing it's cross-section for greater load carrying capacity, but you add a lot of weight to do it. And there is still a good chance it will fracture at the weld.

Best,
Drew

Austin B
06-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Nishant,

Just say no to axle cutting. Even the tiniest chip in a halfshaft can lead to catastrophic failure. I would suggest trying to exchange them, or if you can't then try to sell them on ebay and buy ones correctly sized.

Nishant Jain
06-18-2008, 11:50 AM
I see. Thanks guys. I'll see the best course I can take.