PDA

View Full Version : Ricardo WAVE Error

Dan Westerwick
11-06-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm having a strange problem in WAVE and was wondering if anybody else has experienced something similar.

I've created a setup that resembles a flow bench, and I was planning to validate the port flow coefficients in our engine model. The initial input check works, but once I try running the simulation, I immediately get this:

F*** PROPTY: BAD MASS FRACTION SUM: NaN
TIME STEP = 1 CALLED FROM ENEQJ # 1 JUNCTION: amb2
AIR = NaN
VAP = NaN
B_AIR = NaN
B_FUEL = NaN
FLIQ = NaN
T = 300.0
P = 1.014
RHO = NaN
H = 0.1170E-35
E = NaN
R = 288.2
CP = 1013.
GAMMA = 1.402
CS = 348.1

However, the mass fractions have been defined and are valid. If I change the simulation setting from "real gas" to "perfect air", this error goes away, but it complains that the ambient temperature is zero/negative, and five other variables are listed as "NaN".

In my experience, messages like these are from user error, but I can't find anything missing or wrong. Has anybody else seen this before?

Thanks.

Dan Westerwick
11-06-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm having a strange problem in WAVE and was wondering if anybody else has experienced something similar.

I've created a setup that resembles a flow bench, and I was planning to validate the port flow coefficients in our engine model. The initial input check works, but once I try running the simulation, I immediately get this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> F*** PROPTY: BAD MASS FRACTION SUM: NaN
TIME STEP = 1 CALLED FROM ENEQJ # 1 JUNCTION: amb2
AIR = NaN
VAP = NaN
B_AIR = NaN
B_FUEL = NaN
FLIQ = NaN
T = 300.0
P = 1.014
RHO = NaN
H = 0.1170E-35
E = NaN
R = 288.2
CP = 1013.
GAMMA = 1.402
CS = 348.1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

However, the mass fractions have been defined and are valid. If I change the simulation setting from "real gas" to "perfect air", this error goes away, but it complains that the ambient temperature is zero/negative, and five other variables are listed as "NaN".

In my experience, messages like these are from user error, but I can't find anything missing or wrong. Has anybody else seen this before?

Thanks.

samphlett
11-07-2008, 01:40 AM
FSAE users of WAVE have access to limited technical support through their nominated technical support contact. I suggest you go through this channel.

Michael Palaszynski
11-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Well here he has access to a non-limited tech support from users on this forum.

I'd suggest going through the units/magnitudes of the input parameters.

samphlett
11-26-2008, 02:08 AM
Does the phrase "Looking a gift horse in the mouth" ring any bells?

Dan Westerwick
11-26-2008, 02:56 AM
The model is working now. I just copied/pasted everything into a new file, and it's been fine ever since.

Thanks for your input.