PDA

View Full Version : Wear and Friction Reducing Coating for Driveline

jmcotski
10-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Just wondering if anybody has done any research or is using any friction reducing coating for any of their driveline parts. I'm doing some research on that right now, but I'm not finding info like I would like to be. Any info helps.
Thanks

Cody the Genius
10-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Our team actually found a company called REM coatings and they specialize in friction reduction in gear trains.

www.remchem.com (http://www.remchem.com)

We sent them all sorts of stuff like primary drive gears, both main and counter shaft gear sets, as well as our buckets, wristpins and steering rack stuff. They do this really badass tripple coat burnished DLC coat and even sent back the roughness reports an all items and the Ra went from like 1.4e-6 m to .08e-6 m on most parts. Sounds great though never really got around to measuring exactly how much that helps besides the fact that the parts had harldy any wear and the engine ran cooler.

guess that helps though it sounds a lot like an advertisement

Tony K
10-03-2006, 10:04 AM
I agree; the REM Isotropic Superfinish Process is very nice and cost effective as well. I talked to several ALMS and Speed GT teams at the Utah GP and they all spoke very highly of REM. I found their coatings through Taylor Race and Hoerr Racing, but never thought to go to the source. Thanks Cody.

Boston
10-03-2006, 10:13 AM
We used a DLC carbon coating from Fraunhofer. I used it on our tripod joint balls and our front sprocket. The coating adheared well to the tripod joint balls, and may have reduced some power losses (none measured). It wore off the front sprocket within hours, however. I speculate this is because of the lack of constant lubrication.

Scotty
10-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Here is another one to try on top of the REM. It is called Microblue. The guys name is Craig and his number is 877-379-0517. Tell him Scotty at Taylor Race told you to call. We have done a couple of our gearboxes with this. It is suppose to be pretty awsome on chains.
All of our Pro Mazda gearboxes are REMed. We have been doing this for almost 8 years...Anything that is metallic is REMed. The key is to tape off your bearing surfaces.