PDA

View Full Version : any other teams running megasquirt?

slow_vw
04-12-2006, 11:02 PM
we switched away from our PE unit in favor of MS this year, and couldnt be happier.
during my searches on here i could only find one or two other teams experimenting with it, so i figured id see if anyone else is running it afterall?

slow_vw
04-12-2006, 11:02 PM
we switched away from our PE unit in favor of MS this year, and couldnt be happier.
during my searches on here i could only find one or two other teams experimenting with it, so i figured id see if anyone else is running it afterall?

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
04-13-2006, 04:53 AM
Just curious, why did you guys switch? Also, what features does the Megasquirt not incorporate that you would like to use? We are in the process of designing a new system that should be ready for next year.

Thanks and good luck to everyone. We'll see you in Detroit!

Dan G
04-13-2006, 05:38 AM
Squirt'nSparking here.

slow_vw
04-13-2006, 11:25 AM
well the primary reason switched was because we were using a canabalized PE box from one of our previous cars, and had to buy an ecu for the new car. myself having setup a few megasquirt systems, and a couple of my friends also having setup a few systems, we figured it would be fun to try, as the team wouldnt have been able to afford a PE unit at this point...
as it turns out we were able to get it working awesome, and i personally felt more comfortable tuning MS just because of my previous experience with it, so it was a done deal at that point.

the guys that tuned our previous car prefered the PE, but that was back before MS really had most of the capabilities it does today.

to you guys running MSnS, are you on speed density or alpha n? you guys are the team with the briggs correct?

Dan G
04-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Yup, we're speed density and we're running the briggs. We used MS for the same reason you did, it was the unit I was most familiar with (we have a Motec M4 in the drawer) and it fit in very well with our design and budget goals.

We had some initial trouble thanks to the non-R rated spark plugs we had in the briggs (for the stock magneto ignition). It was causing all kinds of noise and took a while to pinpoint. But we swapped in some regular R-type plugs and have been running smoothly since.

slow_vw
04-13-2006, 12:40 PM
awesome!
we were initially running the MS with the alpha-n maps i adapted from the PE, but recently switched to speed density, and couldnt be happier.
have you played at all with the autotune feature?

Dan G
04-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Yup, autotune + dyno = happy engine tuner. Also doesn't hurt that eFahl used to be a UM-D CS professor and lives only a few miles away.

slow_vw
04-13-2006, 01:00 PM
haha wow awesome

Jersey Tom
04-13-2006, 01:30 PM
What is this 'autotune' you speak of? Sounds cool. The ECU we were trying to adapt to our FSAE car isn't really working out, might not run with it, looking for another ECU package.. be it PE, MS, AEM..

slow_vw
04-13-2006, 01:38 PM
http://www.megasquirt.info/megatune.htm#autotune

it looks like great stuff, im real excited to try it once our wideband gets here.

drivetrainUW-Platt
04-13-2006, 08:42 PM
We are running it, still havent run the engine yet...how many days till comp!