PDA

View Full Version : Bodyworks-Design

davethemenace
12-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Hi,
I just had a few questions regarding the design of bodyworks. Having gone through the previous posts on aerodynamics, i have come to the conclusion that wings/a full aero setup will be of no use since we are going with a 250 cc engine this year. But while designing the nose and the rest of the body, how do i make sure that my design is aerodynamically good.Every team has a differently shaped body.Have they all gone through the convoluted CFD procedure? I looked into a couple of posts for CFD and softwares like Autodesk CFD but they went right over my head. :|. What do i model the surface based on? And is there a simple way to just compare the drag between two bodywork profiles(entire job not just nose)?
Any help will be appreciated. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JT A.
12-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by davethemenace:
i have come to the conclusion that wings/a full aero setup will be of no use since we are going with a 250 cc engine this year.

Is this based on any kind of real analysis (ie making a simple lapsim to see the value of power, drag, downforce etc, or using OptimumLap)? If not, there's a good chance your conclusion is wrong.

It seems like just a few years ago a lot of people on these forums were saying "Wings probably don't work for the speeds we go" based on nothing but their gut feelings, and I think they've pretty conclusively been proven wrong. My own team (which has been using wings for several years and we know they work) still thought wings would only work if you had a 600, until teams like GFR and RIT proved us wrong. UTA's 2006 car was very quick with wings and a turbo'd 250. Who says a normally aspirated 250 can't work with wings? At least put some real analysis into it, you may find a unique concept that your team can succeed with.

MCoach
12-08-2012, 10:15 PM
250cc....not enough power?

And I've been saying that we need to back out on spark timing to make the car more drivable. We run a 450cc. 60hp seems to be plenty for us.

With a 250cc and wings you might as well load that car down and spend lots of time of engine being efficient at WOT.

Mbirt
12-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Dave, the 250cc displacement is not holding you back. Several of the highly successful full aero 450cc cars have only made 250cc-class power. One magazine dyno comparison shows all of the 2012 Japanese 250f MX bikes to be in the 37-40 wheel horsepower range STOCK. They're impressive little motors.

Ben K
12-09-2012, 10:26 AM
250cc with a really well done diffuser would be interesting. Efficient way to get downforce....rather than wings.

Ben