PDA

View Full Version : Rotor Sizes

Ryan Boysen
03-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Our team is using 13" or possibly 14" wheels, what size rotors are teams using? We set up the calculations using 9.5", but can't find decent rotors that size. We really don't have time to machine our own (obviously) so we are looking for a good place to get em.

I know a lot of teams are using wilwood, what style/size rotors?

Cheers.

Ryan Boysen
03-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Our team is using 13" or possibly 14" wheels, what size rotors are teams using? We set up the calculations using 9.5", but can't find decent rotors that size. We really don't have time to machine our own (obviously) so we are looking for a good place to get em.

I know a lot of teams are using wilwood, what style/size rotors?

Cheers.

Jersey Tom
03-22-2006, 04:32 PM
We machine our own. They're simple. Don't need to be vented. Just 3/16" mild steel plate, water jet or CNC machined. Cuts like butter.

SpdRcr
03-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Ryan,

Our team is using a 9.75" dia. mono setup in the rear and 10.45" dia. setup in the front (2 obviously). We had ours water jetted out of some material that was donated to us. Ours have a cross drilled pattern.

It is in your best interest to just buy the steel and look for a deal on the waterjet. The weight savings is great.

Find a waterjetter and buy the material from them; work a package deal. Especially since it sounds as if you need 9.5". Keep in mind if you are on budget and/or trying to find someone to sponsor you things like a cross drilled pattern significantly increase machine time.

Like Tom said, you can get by with mild steel plate and it'll cut through like nothing. Might want to look into heat treating them in your materials science lab too.

Homemade WRX
03-22-2006, 10:47 PM
ours are 9.5 front and rear this year...all laser cut. 0,25" thick but I'm sure they'll get turned down a bit after testing the crap out of them...

drivetrainUW-Platt
03-23-2006, 08:01 AM
whatever size fits and gives you correct braking forces...

Homemade WRX
03-23-2006, 08:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drivetrainUW-Platt:
whatever size fits and gives you correct braking forces... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yeah, run the calculations...there are sooo many choices for brake system design...

KU_Racing
03-28-2006, 01:24 PM
hey tom, do you guys use cold or hot rolled steel? I was told mild would present a significant warpage problem if hot rolled plate was used.