PDA

View Full Version : Differential

urkixu
07-06-2010, 02:42 AM
I want to know, what kind of differential I can use in the first car that we want to created???

urkixu
07-06-2010, 02:42 AM
I want to know, what kind of differential I can use in the first car that we want to created???

thewoundedsoldier
07-06-2010, 05:19 AM
First year? Get a torsen and custom-make the housing. Better yet, do it out of carbon fiber.

D Collins Jr
07-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Here's a grammar lesson for you. "Can" means the physical ability to do, or in this case, use. The differentials you can use, are essentially infinite, because you CAN use any differential.

I believe the question you want answered is which diff SHOULD I use for my first car. The answer is simple...the simplest one you can get your hands on for the least amount of money. You will have so many other issues with your first car that you shouldn't worry about optimization. Just build the damn thing.

Using this "just build it" approach, any differential should be fine.

Hector
07-06-2010, 03:39 PM
First year team? Run a spool. Incredibly easy to make, super cheap, and almost unbreakable. Once you have your car figured out (may take a few years) you can switch to a diff.

With a little bit of planning and forethought you can make your spool the same dimensions as a popular diff. Then when you install the diff, if it breaks or doesn't work, you can always switch back to the spool easily.

Zac
07-06-2010, 06:09 PM
I'd actually recommend that a first year team not go with a spool, at least not as a first option. Yeah, it is easy to manufacture but it is going to add complication to your design and setup. Last year I saw a team that had put together top 10 cars for a couple years in a row really struggle with the switch to a spool. They had a lot of transient issues.

If I was on a first year team I'd focus on having a car that is reasonably easy to manufacturer but I'd try to limit the sacrifices made to the overall drivability of the car. Obviously for a first year team resources will be at a premium, but I'm sure someone can design and manufacturer a housing for a Torsen or find a suitable ATV diff.

Hector
07-07-2010, 10:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Last year I saw a team that had put together top 10 cars for a couple years in a row really struggle with the switch to a spool. They had a lot of transient issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've also seen opposite results, where a team switches to a spool (usually due to diff failure) and end up doing OK. Pat Clarke mentions some of these in one of his design corner articles.

sbrenaman
07-07-2010, 10:14 PM
My recommendation for a first team:

1. Buy a Taylor or WRD
2. Design a mount (you have to do this regardless of what type of diff you have)
3. Properly install the drivetrain
4. Forget about it and go out and start driving.

scotty young Taylor Race
07-12-2010, 11:40 AM
urkixu

There are a couple options we offer that are very easy to work with on a first year team.
Our TRE diff which we have done a lot of testing on and have made big improvements...(Thank you Maryland and Kansas)
And a Honda Civic based diff.

The Honda diff is a bit larger and heavier.. But is a good priced starter diff.

Scotty
Taylor Race Engineering
scotty@taylor-race.com