PDA

View Full Version : Rain Certification for Hybrid Electric Vehicles

Jess_a
11-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Can anyone provide some information on how to protect air cooled motor in the rain certification?

theTTshark
11-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Preferably, very carefully.

You could also contact the manufacture and see what they recommend, or do some more searching before asking us to do it for you.

DSR
11-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Are you crazy, this is not the kind of post that seeks any help on FSAE forums. First, go do some homework and learn how to communicate your problem. People like you are a pain in *** for those who really want to help. We are here not to waste our time.

theTTshark
11-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by DSR:
Are you crazy, this is not the kind of post that seeks any help on FSAE forums. First, go do some homework and learn how to communicate your problem. People like you are a pain in *** for those who really want to help. We are here not to waste our time.

Hey man, calm down. They didn't ruin your day or anything.

Here was the first result of the search I did.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/sho...omponents-18293.html (http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/waterproofing-electric-motors-components-18293.html)

Racer-X
11-15-2012, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by DSR:

How about we don't flame "noobs" who are obviously confused on where to start and where to go? It's alright if you don't want to answer or don't know what to say. No one is forcing you to answer. Why not tell them to be more specific and tell us what they know? Even something as simple as "read the sticky threads" would suffice. They're trying to get into something we enjoy and we should help them.

Take the new teams and those from India for example, they don't have the history or knowledge base the well established teams do and their members come on here for help. They ask a question like "how to build a chassis" then get flamed and insulted by members including Claude. Its not constructive. If you don't like it you don't have to click on the questions with vague titles and you don't have to answer the ones you perceive as being "stupid". Flaming the new people just makes you look like a jerk.

Don't bother to respond, I'm not going say anything back and turn this into a fight.

As for your question Jess_a, I would start by looking at what other teams do to get some ideas. Then figure out why they do it this way so you can make it work for your situation. Don't forget to actually find out why other teams do what they do, its the only way you can learn from other people's work.

AxelRipper
11-15-2012, 06:50 AM
Well this is at least an interesting question, but that may be due to the fact I've never had to deal with a vehicle going through a competition rain test (though it might be interesting to test the IC cars the same as the H/EV cars).

Seems to me like a sealed box with a good duct to keep air going to the motor would be the best option. The duct may be able to be filtered or have some baffling to keep the rain from getting to the motor via the duct.

Just my crazy idea thought up in less than a minute from a non-electrically gifted mind.