PDA

View Full Version : Formula Hybrid Brake Design

uiuchybrid
01-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Hello all,

I am the brakes leader on a formula hybrid team. I decided to join this forum since all the hybrid forums focus on the electrical aspect of the car.

I am designing the brakes for this year, and I believe I have a near-final design. I just have to make sure that my design makes sense and will work. Since my team is building a hybrid car, the total weight will be greater than an FSAE car since we house the batteries and the accompanying modules. Below are some specs/dimensions and information about why my team chose those.

Calipers-
Wilwood GP320-- We do not have the proper funding to buy new calipers this year. Link (http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperList.aspx?subname=GP320)

Car weight-- Between 800-900 pounds

Rotor-
Slotted design w/ cross drilled holes
9.1" Diameter-- This is the max size to ensure a proper fit.
Thickness- 3/16" -- We want to make a lighter rotor to shave off some weight. I feel that this is the smallest we can go, but I need to be sure that the rotor will not fail at this thickness.

Master Cylinder- Tilton (Unsure of model) These were used last year. I might be able to purchase new ones.

Pedal Ratio 6:1

Material-- We have been having a tough time determining this with our specs. We really wanted to go with cast iron, however, we might use the same material as we used in previous years, that being stainless steel. I would appreciate any feedback upon what material to use.

I have more information, pictures, charts, etc that I will post later.

js10coastr
01-09-2012, 03:04 PM
What is your CG height, weight distribution and wheelbase? Estimates for the coeff of friction of the pad/rotor along with the tire?

These are some of the numbers you really need to design a brake system. The list of items really doesn't give much information.