PDA

View Full Version : aussie teams progress

Colin
09-16-2004, 04:45 PM
we just got our 2004 car out for it's first test day yesterday (after a 5am completion the night before). We didn't set any lap records but it was nice to see it rolling. Still a lot of work to do but I think it's got some potential. There will be some photo's on our web page soon.
We were a bit late in our timeline getting it out so I was wondering how other aussie team's are going, are people already testing?
cheers

Colin
09-16-2004, 04:45 PM
we just got our 2004 car out for it's first test day yesterday (after a 5am completion the night before). We didn't set any lap records but it was nice to see it rolling. Still a lot of work to do but I think it's got some potential. There will be some photo's on our web page soon.
We were a bit late in our timeline getting it out so I was wondering how other aussie team's are going, are people already testing?
cheers

Jarrod
09-18-2004, 07:54 AM
we've got all of the moulds for our monocoque, have done a fibreglass test piece to make sure all the parts will come out OK, just waiting on test panels to confirm layups etc. In the middle of doing our rear space frame right now, we were waiting on the structural sump. One sponsor pulled out, had to chase someone who would do it without charging a fortune, and do it in reasonable time. so we are just a little behind schedule.

Matt Gignac
09-18-2004, 09:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In the middle of doing our rear space frame right now, we were waiting on the structural sump. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Structural sump? That's awesome. I thought about it once or twice for our car, but there are other stuff that need attention before something like that. Any pics?

Matt Gignac
McGill Racing Team

Jarrod
09-19-2004, 02:52 AM
theres some pics on our website of last years, the new one is even more elaborate. RMIT ran one in 02, and birmingham have also done it. I'm sure there are others as well.

Deano
09-19-2004, 04:16 AM
We did our own ally casting for the sump this year - a couple of pictures here (http://lum-lfs04-01.fotopic.net/p6829734.html) if you're interested...

Definitely a good idea, especially since it gave us the freedom to put the lower diff support plate mountings where we wanted. I think if we were to do it again, we'd include some baffles - we missed a bit of a trick there...

Tim Heinemann
09-19-2004, 07:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deano:
We did our own ally casting for the sump this year - a couple of pictures http://lum-lfs04-01.fotopic.net/p6829734.html if you're interested...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sump looks really good! For our first car we had a machined dry sump on the Suzi GSX-R we used on it. We used it as a structural member to form an extra mount at the front of the engine. I would have loved to do the same on the Mahle engine but for several reasons we decided not to use the engine as a structural member.

AFAIK the biggest deviation for F3 engines from their mass-production donors is the dry sump and cylinder head cover. Most engines seam to use these two parts as structural members to take stress from the cyl blocks and crank- and camshaft bearings.

Tim

Frank
09-21-2004, 12:52 AM
still waiting for ours to get back from england, so we're beating our heads against static events

anyone else driving?

will the wattard return?

whats rmit up to?

will the turbo be run on 'Gong '04?

Frank (UQ)

Moke
09-21-2004, 02:37 AM
The kiwis are nearly on the road (waiting for our wheels). With a few 48hr days planned, we should be rolling soon (don't want to jinks things, so I'll shut up now).

rotor
09-21-2004, 02:38 AM
Last few months have been composites 101 certainly have learnt so much about high temperature moulding, have done a test chassis, which also formed our test chassis for safety equiv.
Bottom tub is vac bagged and ready to cure tomorrow, finshing rebuild of top mould tonight.

Rear spaceframe is being completed right now, final intake and exhaust length testing is keeping the houses around us up late this week..
All machined/splined components are about 3-4 weeks off being completed and off to the anodiser.
Should have a running car in mid october..

Driver training is also in swing with the uk winning car, provides a bit of relief from such long hours!

Mark Hester
RMIT Chief Engineer 04

andrewd
09-22-2004, 12:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank:

will the turbo be run on 'Gong '04?

Frank (UQ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

turbo?

vooom chissssh hehe

powered by wattard
09-22-2004, 04:38 AM
quote:
--------------------------------
Originally posted by Frank:

will the wattard return?

Frank (UQ)
--------------------------------

definitely, but with boost

Will

Kevin Hayward
09-22-2004, 05:55 AM
Will,

We've actually felt a bit jealous of a vehicle system with such a cool name as the Wattard (which of course named after a team member).

As a result we have added a system called the NK-FAD 5000 to our 2004 vehicle. Its not an engine unfortunately.

Don't want to keep everybody guessing but it is a totally rad system that is light years ahead of the work of NASA and Ferrari combined. In fact it is so good that the new car is pretty much designed and built around it.

In fact the name comes from the five team members directly working on implementing it on the car.

Anybody that wants to come and see it at the comp can join us as we bathe in the glow from its awesomeness.

As for how UWA is going ... hmmm ... how far away is the comp? Please say at least 6 months.
Actually car is going okay as it should be ready for the Australian comp ... in 2007.

Kev

p.s. The comments in this email are no way representative of our team and should be considered the ramblings of a madman.

Matilda
09-22-2004, 07:39 AM
Yes Kev,

But there is the NBBI and Inkster coefficients to unleash on F-SAE, even if they come with a mad man and the NK-FAD 5000. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Jason

Trying to control many mad people....