PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring accumulator temperature

jakem
01-09-2013, 05:10 PM
For formula student electric, the rules state that at least 30% of the accumulators must have their temperatures monitored. My question is: must the thermistors be attached to the cells they are monitoring? Or can they just be in very close proximity? If they must be attached to the accumulators, does it matter where on the accumulator the thermistor is attached?

Paul Achard
01-09-2013, 09:21 PM
You should definitely confirm this with the rules committee, but here's my take on it: the t/c's should be in direct contact to the cells you are monitoring. Note that the rules stipulate that one t/c can monitor two cells at once, the idea being that your safety protocols should take action when temperature is exceeded anywhere in your network.

I would treat this as a case where you should really follow the rule for your own good, not just to satisfy the judges. Underestimating the temperature of your cells by leaving an airgap between it and your t/c does not seem wise.

TMichaels
01-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Paul is right. The temperature sensors need to have direct contact to the monitored cell, either to the body or to the tab.