PDA

View Full Version : Suspension simulation

skyliner34gtr
11-08-2007, 04:05 AM
hi,all! i need to do some suspension simulation. could you recommend some suspension software? thx!

skyliner34gtr
11-08-2007, 04:05 AM
hi,all! i need to do some suspension simulation. could you recommend some suspension software? thx!

Pete Fodor
11-08-2007, 06:07 AM
Lotus Shark
Adams
Suspension SIM & Carsim
Matlab http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

js10coastr
11-08-2007, 07:58 AM
OptimumK
Susprog
Excel

Fyhr
11-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Dymoa with Vehicle Dynamics Library

http://www.dynasim.se/models.htm#VehicleDynamics

skyliner34gtr
11-08-2007, 11:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pete Fodor:
Lotus Shark
Adams
Suspension SIM & Carsim
Matlab http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matlab seem to be good option for me, however, it's quite difficulte to contrust the block diagram in simulink. I am the only person working on suspension in my team. I will try others u suggested, anyway, thx a lot

skyliner34gtr
11-08-2007, 11:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fyhr:
Dymoa with Vehicle Dynamics Library

http://www.dynasim.se/models.htm#VehicleDynamics </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i just visted their website, but there is nothing i can use as simulator in their website, anyway thx a lot

Chris Lane
11-08-2007, 06:51 PM
I use Optimum K. It's great!

Optimum G do a discount for FSAE teams.

Fyhr
11-09-2007, 02:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skyliner34gtr:
i just visted their website, but there is nothing i can use as simulator in their website, anyway thx a lot </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it's not free software, you need a license to be able to download and install it.

But do talk to dynasim, see if you cant get a discount or a short time license sponsored.

Christopher Catto
11-09-2007, 06:05 AM
It's as if you've asked. I'm making a kitcar, what's the best engine. And you've got one guy replying "engine from the Bugatti Veyron!" and some other people replying "Ford Zetec 1.6".

Since you are the only guy and you have not quoted a budget and you probably need to get a result that is usable on the car I recommend that you would stay clear of programs with limited license. It's just my opinion but to me it's like buying a second hand car with 150 000 miles on the clock. I'm one for having things for a long time and not be worrying about finishing the design 2 days before the licence runs out...

I would take the advice of those who have quoted you:

1) Excel: remarkably easy as long as you are ok with linear algebra and investigating your suspension in 2d. Forget what people say about the 3d world. You need to get a grasp of 2d before understanding more complex things anyway. You can do approximate force based roll-centres in 2d for example.

2) OptimumK. Specifically for students and FSAE so probably the easiest to use and get support from. Not that expensive for a team to buy and you can prolly run it forever. OptimumG has close links with FSAE.

3) Susprog. Many recommend it and the author has made quite a clever program. I would try this.

As for the rest

4) Lotus Shark I think only runs on one comp so it will be yours and that's it. Also dunno if licence runs for one year. It is VERY intuitive and gets you results quick though! Email Lotus Engineering and ask your tutor to give you a reference.
5) Adams. Get your Uni to fund this but they make ask you for some results! Since it's not that cheap.
6) Dymola a bit like a nicer looking and quite upgradable Simulink but requires some training I would say.

skyliner34gtr
11-09-2007, 02:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Christopher Catto:
It's as if you've asked. I'm making a kitcar, what's the best engine. And you've got one guy replying "engine from the Bugatti Veyron!" and some other people replying "Ford Zetec 1.6".

Since you are the only guy and you have not quoted a budget and you probably need to get a result that is usable on the car I recommend that you would stay clear of programs with limited license. It's just my opinion but to me it's like buying a second hand car with 150 000 miles on the clock. I'm one for having things for a long time and not be worrying about finishing the design 2 days before the licence runs out...

I would take the advice of those who have quoted you:

1) Excel: remarkably easy as long as you are ok with linear algebra and investigating your suspension in 2d. Forget what people say about the 3d world. You need to get a grasp of 2d before understanding more complex things anyway. You can do approximate force based roll-centres in 2d for example.

2) OptimumK. Specifically for students and FSAE so probably the easiest to use and get support from. Not that expensive for a team to buy and you can prolly run it forever. OptimumG has close links with FSAE.

3) Susprog. Many recommend it and the author has made quite a clever program. I would try this.

As for the rest

4) Lotus Shark I think only runs on one comp so it will be yours and that's it. Also dunno if licence runs for one year. It is VERY intuitive and gets you results quick though! Email Lotus Engineering and ask your tutor to give you a reference.
5) Adams. Get your Uni to fund this but they make ask you for some results! Since it's not that cheap.
6) Dymola a bit like a nicer looking and quite upgradable Simulink but requires some training I would say. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW! thx for ur advices, it's very useful for me, actually i am using excel to do simulation, but i want something to show in 3-D, i think i can work it out with ur advices

cheers

06-21-2009, 08:24 PM
this is interesting... thank you for your comments

simulation credit (http://simulationcredit1.com)