PDA

View Full Version : Chain tensioner - Snapidle

SuperNewb
11-01-2012, 08:52 AM
First of all this is my first post so I am sorry if there are some mistakes..

I am considering on using a Snapidle floating type chain tensioner (http://www.snapidle.com/products/chain-tensioners.html).
I really liked them because they are not dependable on the louse and the tensioned side of the chain. Also you won't need to attach them to the chassis
As much as I have searched though I haven't found a single team to have used this type of tensioner!

Has anyone ever used this before?
Even if you haven't used it, do you think it'll work? and why?

dmacke
11-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Not an expert but I don't think it would work well for most teams because the loose and tensioned sides of the chain a not parallel. On our car at least the chain sides have a severe angle between them because of the sprocket ratio and the distance between the two sprockets. I would guess this type of tensioner would just slide down the chain. But if it meets the criteria list on the link you posted then I guess it "should" work. Our car would fail the R2 ratio.

mech5496
11-01-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm pretty sure Auckland used a similar system on their last 4-cyl car. I was wondering the same; why noone else I know of has not been using this as it seems really simple to build and adjust, lightweight, it simplifies your diffmounts by a fair amount -> lighter (no need for adjustability there), plus it minimizes chain slack if spring preoladed. The system I was thinking of had two rollers (one for the loose and one for the tensioned side) that were connected via twin rodends with opposed threads, so to be able to adjust their distance. Two bars were running from the centers of the rollers to a single pivot point on the engine, to keep the rollers in place. On the plus side it also improves wrap on the front sprocket, therefore gives you the ability to get front and rear spockets spaced closer (i know certain teams had problems with chain wrap on engine sproket in the past). Never used it though, as we found a way to get rid of chaindrives once for all... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif