PDA

View Full Version : F4i Gear Removal

xatvs
09-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Is anybody willing to divulge how to lose 5th and 6th in the tranny. We only have one motor, so I can't afford to experiment with it unless I know how to get it done. Any hints or whatever you can provide would be great. Thanks

xatvs
09-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Is anybody willing to divulge how to lose 5th and 6th in the tranny. We only have one motor, so I can't afford to experiment with it unless I know how to get it done. Any hints or whatever you can provide would be great. Thanks

Charlie
09-08-2004, 01:44 PM
No need to 'experiment'. It's not a risky thing. Take the thing apart, look at how the transmission works, find 5th and 6th gear, see how you can remove (parts of) them, decide if its worth it.

Denny Trimble
09-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Yeah, you can't entirely remove 5th and 6th because the dogs & shift fork interface are needed for other gears. I believe we removed a couple of the smaller gears on the side with no dogs, and ground/machined the teeth off 5th and 6th. I didn't do it personally, and I'm not an engine guy, so beware http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif No major failures yet, except due to an assembly problem somewhere else in the tranny...