PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha R6 and Motec M400

Tilman
06-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Heyho everyone,

we've got enormous problems with our 2004 Yamaha R6 engine and our current ECU (trijekt) ... we've got no clue why the engine won't start therefore we are looking into buying a Motec M400 tomorrow.

How much do we have to change to fit the M400 on the engine?

We are running the stock sensors on camshaft and crankshaft, but we've got different wheels for the crankshaft sensor. The stock wheel triggers 4 impulses per revolution, our wheels trigger 8 or 16 impulses per revolution.

We have got one self-built ignition driver (4 independent drivers on one PCB), 4 ignition coils with built-in ignition drivers and one bought two-channel ignition driver (for wasted spark).

We have got the stock airbox and air filter, one complete and one destroyed airbox manufactured by selective laser sintering and one welded steel airbox. We will use the stock parts because we do not want to destroy the second laser-sintering airbox (first one has been destroyed by a backfire) and we do not know whether the steel airbox has got errors we do not know.

Is it possible to get that engine running within a few days with this equipment? We need to have a running car on saturday to display it to sponsors...

Can anyone share a conservative ignition map of this engine? We know how to tune fuel maps but we've only got a vague idea of how to tune ignition maps ...

Thanks in advance,

Tilman

Tilman
06-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Heyho everyone,

we've got enormous problems with our 2004 Yamaha R6 engine and our current ECU (trijekt) ... we've got no clue why the engine won't start therefore we are looking into buying a Motec M400 tomorrow.

How much do we have to change to fit the M400 on the engine?

We are running the stock sensors on camshaft and crankshaft, but we've got different wheels for the crankshaft sensor. The stock wheel triggers 4 impulses per revolution, our wheels trigger 8 or 16 impulses per revolution.

We have got one self-built ignition driver (4 independent drivers on one PCB), 4 ignition coils with built-in ignition drivers and one bought two-channel ignition driver (for wasted spark).

We have got the stock airbox and air filter, one complete and one destroyed airbox manufactured by selective laser sintering and one welded steel airbox. We will use the stock parts because we do not want to destroy the second laser-sintering airbox (first one has been destroyed by a backfire) and we do not know whether the steel airbox has got errors we do not know.

Is it possible to get that engine running within a few days with this equipment? We need to have a running car on saturday to display it to sponsors...

Can anyone share a conservative ignition map of this engine? We know how to tune fuel maps but we've only got a vague idea of how to tune ignition maps ...

Thanks in advance,

Tilman

mech5107
06-14-2010, 01:55 PM
If your injectors fire, you have spark and ecu reads "normal" rpm and temps, but doesn't start, then you have wrong trigger angle, or air leaks in the intake system.

Considering that you have broken an airbox, probably on sudden throttle opening, tring to start the engine, i would start from leak testing.
Then check ignition timing with timing light.

Ivan Maglica
06-14-2010, 02:15 PM
What spark plugs do you use?
We have 2003 R6 and we bought Denso instead old NGK that come with engine... It didn't work at all. After that, we swiched back to NGK and it is working. We are using VEMS v3 ECU

Dan Deussen @ Weber Motor
06-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Hi Tilmann,

have you talked to te Trijekt guys? They are only 100km from you guys away. Why don't you put your car on a truck/trailer and drive over there. If anyone can get this running then it should be them.

I don't think you will do yourself a faovr by buying a Motec with the intention of getting in running in 4 days.

In general I would always prefer a Motec over a Trijekt.

Tilman
06-15-2010, 01:27 AM
Heyho,

thanks for your answers.

We got the engine running yesterday evening, but it was equipped with the stock injection and airbox. It started promptly, running quite fine, except for revolution changes due to inconstant Air-to-Fuel-Ratios. The starting behaviour was reproducible, and I am very happy about that.

I do not know what has been checked by our engine guys, but they have been quite busy with oscilloscope, timing light and a logic analyzer. The discovered that the ECU has a "built-in" offset of 20 deg for *every* angle (seems to be related to slow processor speed), re-calculated every angle and so on ...

Our last thought was that the injector location was quite bad, they did not fire towards the valves because this was easier to manufacture. But since the engine did occasionally start for a max of 10 revolutions and then died again looks like a leak in the intake ... I think we will check that and build a new steel intake, using a welding fixture (the first one has been welded without the use of one).

Right now we are looking into buying a Motec M400 or some other, cheaper ECU, on advice from a dyno expert, for our new car.

However, how does a conservative ignition map (no pistion melting, no combustion in the exhaust, power/torque is not relevant) look like? I think we are starting at 5 deg advance and then the angle increases to approx 50 deg at 12000 rpm. Is that OK?

Thanks,

Tilman