PDA

View Full Version : University Special Torsen & Junction

aSSo
10-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Hello, I'm new here. I've read that many of you use university special in your car. How do you join differential to the wheels? What kind of junctions do you suggest?

Maybe could be used two ball-and-trunnion joints but it'd increase very much weigh of the car. What can you suggest me?
Thanks a lot

aSSo
10-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Hello, I'm new here. I've read that many of you use university special in your car. How do you join differential to the wheels? What kind of junctions do you suggest?

Maybe could be used two ball-and-trunnion joints but it'd increase very much weigh of the car. What can you suggest me?
Thanks a lot

JR
10-23-2007, 02:09 PM
I recommend a 1" diameter Goodridge SAE grade rubber hose! :-)

SR-Mike
10-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Asso,

I would recommend that you get hold of a drawing of the TORSEN University special, i got one a few years back either from their website or from contacting them directly, i can't remember. This gives the specifications of the output shaft interface (Internal splined connector).

Using this data, you can then approach a supplier who has spline cutting capabilities and work with them to design the differential output shafts (half shafts).

Simultaneously you need to consider how to connect the halfshaft to the outboard wheel spindle. Assuming you are going with a typical FSAE independent rear suspension set up this can be done using a few different methods. The most common of which uses CV (constant velocity) joints and an off the shelf driveshaft. Which when I was involved we purchased indirectly from GKN.

Once you specified and have all the information about the components required for the system ,and you have addressed some other issues such as oil retention in the diff and how to drive the diff; you will then be in a position to finalise the design of the system.

As for a the drivetrain system increasing the mass of the vehicle; unfortunately a car without a drivetrain is typically lighter than a car with a drivetrain, but i will leave it up to you assess the pro's and cons of including it :-)

Mike

aSSo
10-24-2007, 12:40 AM
SR-Mike,

first of all I'd like to thank you for your response.

I've an University Special draft but I can't understand if I can wear away material from the output interface and insert here a tripode joint.
What do you think?

Moreover I've got some problems with Torsen website, because they didn't' answered my e-mail.They promptly answered when you send an e-mail them an e-mail? I've also contacted them to buy differential and to know about the sending. Do you think they send University special also in Europe?

Scotty
10-24-2007, 07:03 AM
aSSo,

We have a full line of FSAE drive line products.

http://www.taylor-race.com/subcat1.cfm?category=Chain%20Drive

If you want to do your own machining ,I can send you some drawings.

aSSo
10-24-2007, 09:54 AM
I really thank you.
I'd like very much to receive your drawings.
my e-mail is ___

Scotty
10-24-2007, 12:04 PM
aSSo,

Send me an e-mail on what you think you might be needing.

scotty@taylor-race.com

aSSo
10-28-2007, 03:56 AM
Hello Scotty,
I'd like to have drawing of "Taylor Race Chain Drive Differential", I don't know if I need brake rotor flange or the kind of joint,
so if it isn't a problem for you, I'd need drawing of the four type of Taylor Race Chain Drive Differential.
Thanks a lot!
Gregorio

Scotty
10-28-2007, 06:55 AM
aSSo.

Not a problem at all Bud..
I will get them out to you first thing Monday morn..