PDA

View Full Version : cad version control

jaca
09-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Has anyone had success using version control for CAD? Part revisions tend to get a bit out of hand as I'm sure you know, so I'm trying to create a more structured system for organizing iterations.

SVN/CVS would work, but it's really more than we need and has a pretty steep learning curve. More than likely it would end up not being used.

PRO/E makes a half assed attempt with its incrementing file extensions but when a team of 10 people are working on a design it does more harm than good. I scanned through the manual and it looks like the extensions are about all you get.

Should we put in the time to train everyone on SVN or is there a better way?

BeaverGuy
09-01-2008, 10:46 PM
The big question is what do you need version conrol for and how are you going to use it?

When I was in university and on most of the projects where I work, you work in a local directory that only you can write to and then write it to a common directory for everyone when you think it is ready or it is needed. One person controls the master file, if it is neccesary this can be done at sub-system levels as well. If it is done right you never have to change the top level model once all the sub-models are decided on.

If you are about to make a change that you think may or may not lead in the right direction you save an alternate copy of the file before the change. PDM software does a similar thing. The only time a version goes on a model or drawing is when it is released for manufacture, at that point you know if you change it you need to change the marked revision.

Dennis Seichter
09-01-2008, 11:40 PM
After working two years with a >30 people team in a "who saves last wins"-mode and luckily no larger problems, we decided to switch to a professional pdm system. We are using Pro/E with Windchill now, which handles versioning, writing access etc.

It maybe a bit of a pain to introduce it, but I think it's worth it considering you could loose weeks of work just because of a few clicks.

Alastair Clarke
09-02-2008, 02:28 AM
Totally agree with Dennis. We faced all the usual problems of different versions etc, so we eventually got the Solidworks "PDMworks" system which takes control of versioning, read/write access etc.

It's a great system, but the first year of using it has been a bit of a learning curve, and we've still not worked out how to stop people taking copies of "their" files and developing them away from the PDM system. They then bring them back and wonder why the rest of the car has changed in the interim!

On balance, I'd definitely say it's worth it!

Regards

Alastair

Adam Vaughan
09-02-2008, 03:15 AM
I'd definitely shy away from using SVN/CVS for the same reasons you mentioned.

For our revision control, we have a dedicated server running Microsoft SharePoint. While the software wasn't exactly designed with CAD in mind, we've had some good success using it for web-based revision control of all our files (not just CAD) _and_ for streamlining basically every aspect of the team's management within a relatively simple web-ui (deliverables, assets, contacts, etc.)

It is the only piece of Microsoft software I'd recommend to anyone.

Julian Choquette
09-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Is anyone using SVN in their team successfully? How did you manage training amongst the team members and how do you make sure everyone uses it correctly?

jaca
09-19-2008, 05:28 AM
BeaverGuy, the common directory with multiple local copies worked for us in the past, but is probably the least optimal solution. There are lots of reasons to avoid this, the least of which is tracking the evolution of previous designs for future teams.

I guess SharePoint could be an option, since we could conceivably afford a license. I'd rather have something CAD specific though, and honestly SVN has a much better featureset despite the learning curve, especially with the available web interfaces.

Windchill sounds very cool. Does your university have the license? I'm assuming that it is way, way out of the price range of the average FSAE team. I'll check and see if our eschool would spring for it.

Julian - I would try it but I have a feeling it would end up being unused or misused. Also we don't have rights to install software on our CAD lab machines. Damn meche's and their computer phobias.. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

strong_auto_concepts
09-19-2008, 06:25 AM
PDM (or PLM) software is really the best answer. Previous posters are absolutely correct in saying that it's a pain to implement. People will resist, your network admins will hate you, and it will take massive amounts of time to get right. The up side is that when you get it working it makes things really fall in to place. You've got a lot of options.

Pro/E and Windchill

CATIA and ENOVIA or SmarTeam

Solid Works and PDMWorks or SmarTeam or ENOVIA

Team Center
SAP
I'm not sure which product the fine folks over at Autodesk produce, so if you use Inventor, just look for the matching PLM tool.

I've used all of these in some capacity and I have to say, if you have minimal support, Team Center is the way to go. You basically cram a CD in a server, pick some settings and off you go. There's not a lot of network knowledge necessary.

Good luck
-Steve Strong
The Boeing Company
Beaver Racing Alum
(Ex Dassault Systemes PLM Consultant)

Jason Goetz
09-24-2008, 10:24 PM
The comparable Autodesk PDM system is called Autodesk Vault and it's included with Inventor, so if you download a copy of Inventor, it's installed with the software. It's main focus is managing work-in-process design data for small workgroups so it's not too difficult to get up and running on it.