PDA

View Full Version : Sideslip question....help an idiot out.

wil oberlies
04-02-2011, 05:59 PM
My understanding of sideslip (beta): it describes the orientation of the vehicles x axis during a turn, or its attitude while cornering. It is a function of the distribution of lateral force produced at the front and rear axles, due to their respective distance from the CG. Ok so far? So two vehicles could describe the same radius, but have different body orientations or attitudes due to CG location along the wheelbase? Cornering stiffness must play a role here. I'd appreciate help from anyone that can correct any errors in my thinking. Thanks in advance.

wil oberlies
04-02-2011, 05:59 PM
My understanding of sideslip (beta): it describes the orientation of the vehicles x axis during a turn, or its attitude while cornering. It is a function of the distribution of lateral force produced at the front and rear axles, due to their respective distance from the CG. Ok so far? So two vehicles could describe the same radius, but have different body orientations or attitudes due to CG location along the wheelbase? Cornering stiffness must play a role here. I'd appreciate help from anyone that can correct any errors in my thinking. Thanks in advance.

RyMan
04-02-2011, 09:18 PM
First off, I assume that you are going to RIT. As such, I would hope that you have access to RCVD. Go there for the answer to your question. Lastly, I am inebriated at the moment so take my comments with a grain of salt.

The AFX Master
04-02-2011, 10:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RyMan:
Lastly, I am inebriated at the moment so take my comments with a grain of salt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just keep away from that angle grinder! :P

RyMan
04-03-2011, 12:03 AM
No worries, I am far away from the shop and any power tools.

murpia
04-03-2011, 04:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wil oberlies:
My understanding of sideslip (beta): it describes the orientation of the vehicles x axis during a turn, or its attitude while cornering. It is a function of the distribution of lateral force produced at the front and rear axles, due to their respective distance from the CG. Ok so far? So two vehicles could describe the same radius, but have different body orientations or attitudes due to CG location along the wheelbase? Cornering stiffness must play a role here. I'd appreciate help from anyone that can correct any errors in my thinking. Thanks in advance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's a reasonable summary for steady state cornering (if such a thing exists in the real world), and you are correct in assuming that for equal turn radii two vehicles could have radically different betas. Or the same vehicle, at different speeds.

Just watch some drifting on youtube if you need further convincing!

Regards, Ian

Big Mo
04-07-2011, 01:02 AM
Just Vx over Vy

exFSAE
04-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Or more closely related to Vy over Vx, unless your car operates at infinite sideslip when going down a straightaway.

wil oberlies
04-08-2011, 10:19 AM
thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Wil