PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Throttle Flow Area

DG
03-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi there
Im currently looking at throttle designs, specifically modelling the airflow through a Barrel Throttle at various throttle angles. I've created various CAD models in Solid Edge, and was wondering if there is a way of measuring the available flow area using this program. I cant find anything in the help files or tinternet.

Any help or direction would be much appreciated
Solid Edge V19, if that makes a difference (yes, I know its crap :P)

DG
03-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi there
Im currently looking at throttle designs, specifically modelling the airflow through a Barrel Throttle at various throttle angles. I've created various CAD models in Solid Edge, and was wondering if there is a way of measuring the available flow area using this program. I cant find anything in the help files or tinternet.

Any help or direction would be much appreciated
Solid Edge V19, if that makes a difference (yes, I know its crap :P)

exFSAE
03-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Isn't that just geometry?

DG
03-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Indeed, but I was planning on looking at various shaped/sized bores, and thus it would get rather hassley to calculate using geometry

VFR750R
03-20-2008, 02:22 PM
That's what Microsoft excel...excels in.

Brett Neale
03-25-2008, 04:27 PM
If you assemble the throttle at the opening angle you are after, you can do a sketch on a face or plane, then the "include" button will allow you to project the throttle barrel geometry onto your sketch. Make sure it's a closed profile, then go Inspect -> Measure Area and you're done.