PDA

View Full Version : Tires for 2006

ToddS
11-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Just wanted to get the word out and help with locating tires. Some schools have found us already (Cornell, Mich St., San Diego St. etc..)but many still have a hard time so I'm here to say for your tires we have them. Frisby Performance Tire is the Avon Tyre distributor for the U.S. race slick market. We also carry Hoosier and Goodyear.

We will give all schools a 10% discount on all tire purchases made through the school. Right now we have a good supply of the Avon 13" A45 compound tires. These are the super sticky hillclimb tires. Give us a call at 1.800.798.7201 for more info or to order.

*hope it was ok to do this. If not I'm sure this got the mods attention and I'll hear from them now* http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ToddS
11-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Just wanted to get the word out and help with locating tires. Some schools have found us already (Cornell, Mich St., San Diego St. etc..)but many still have a hard time so I'm here to say for your tires we have them. Frisby Performance Tire is the Avon Tyre distributor for the U.S. race slick market. We also carry Hoosier and Goodyear.

We will give all schools a 10% discount on all tire purchases made through the school. Right now we have a good supply of the Avon 13" A45 compound tires. These are the super sticky hillclimb tires. Give us a call at 1.800.798.7201 for more info or to order.

*hope it was ok to do this. If not I'm sure this got the mods attention and I'll hear from them now* http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Alex Davis
11-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Is there any tire data available for the avon tires?

-Alex
Clarkson U. FSAE

Draksia
11-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Do you carry Avon's 10 inch size? If so whats the price on those and the available compounds?

Thanks

Erich Ohlde
11-15-2005, 10:11 PM
avon claims that there tires are proven onthe track so don't count on finding avon tire data.

Garlic
11-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Avon has more data posted for thier tires than any other company I've ever seen, so I dunno why you'd say that. For a long time Avon data was the only tire data I could find anywhere.

However I've never seen any data for thier bias ply tires, only radials.

ben
11-16-2005, 02:54 AM
Tyre testing tends to be done on development product or for the large markets.

Hillclimb stuff is amatuer and with Avon developing a completely new set of GT tyres for next year I suspect there is no business case for full F&M testing of a standard product.

In the absence of F&M data there's certainly a lot of things you could do practically that would probably impress the judges more than simply plotting the TTC data, which you know some teams will do.

Ben

ToddS
11-16-2005, 08:20 AM
We don't have the 10" tires as there has been no call for them. The F500 class is so small in SCCA why bother. We have the 13" tires and larger.

As for data, I personally don't have any. All I can say is the hillclimb compound has proven to be tremendously faster than Hoosier or Goodyear when ran head to head. (2-3 sec) Nothing imperical, just results on the course.

The upside to Avon products are they are quite a bit lighter in weight. example the 20x7 Avon weighs 9.98lbs the Hoosier same size weighs 12lbs. That alone makes it worthy of any team looking into using.

As for the comment on development time, I know first hand what was said is pretty true. Too busy with A1GP, GT and F1 Masters....

ToddS
11-16-2005, 01:08 PM
I've gotten a few requests for price info. The tires are $159ea plus 10% off for school programs.

Sizes are 6.2/20-13 at 9.2lbs (16)
7.2/20-13 at 11.5lbs (4)

We also have the Avon 7.0/22-13 A11 which is used in formula continental with great success. If you ran 7" Hoosier in R35 or even R25 these have proven to out perform those tires. This tire won the triple crown in SCCA in 2005. Great wear characteristics and lots of heat cycles availble for such a grippy tire. Those are always in stock as well.

Hope this helps and clears up any confusion.

Draksia
11-16-2005, 02:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ToddS:
We don't have the 10" tires as there has been no call for them. The F500 class is so small in SCCA why bother. We have the 13" tires and larger.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the 10 inch tire demand is pretty low but the fact that it is 16 inch tall is very appealing to me. If the weights are roughly porportional then this should be a very light tire.

Ché
11-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Todd S-

Does Avon make a 10" tire that is 18 or 19 inches tall and 6-8 inches wide (in the same or similar compounds)? If so, what are prices and lead times?

Draksia
11-16-2005, 06:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ché:
Todd S-

Does Avon make a 10" tire that is 18 or 19 inches tall and 6-8 inches wide (in the same or similar compounds)? If so, what are prices and lead times? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is only one 10 inch tire listed on Avon's website it is a 16x8.5. From the looks of the website you can pretty much get any compound in any size.

Ché
11-16-2005, 08:02 PM
if the tires you are refering to are these (http://www.avonracing.com/tyres/tyregroup.asp?ID=1)
, then the last time I talked to an Avon person they said those were the front tires of the 6 wheeled Tyrell car, which would mean the compound would probably be too hard for FSAE....but they could have been wrong. Either way we would have no ground clearance/or our suspension kinematics would go to hell if we went to a 16" (15.9")tall tire.

ToddS
11-16-2005, 08:31 PM
as was stated Avon only makes the one 10" and is a tick under 16" diameter. sorry. As for weight, I can check. I've never seen one so I don't have a clue.

KShah
11-17-2005, 02:54 AM
Have any of you guys got any performance data on the Avon tyres, ive tried looking everywhere, but alas no luck!

Nihal
11-17-2005, 11:27 AM
I know if you call them they have at least the data for the Forumula Ford tires.