PDA

View Full Version : Lookin on the bright side...

Nate Notta
05-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Well I'm sure the majority teams come home from the competition having done a lot worse than they hoped... and we definately did here at the U of Windsor this year.
So we had some major brake problems (swapped every caliper and both master cylinders finally to pass brake test) that kept us out of dynamic events until AutoX, and we didnt finish. It all comes down to not finishing early enough, and our engine problems that kept us from testing brakes.
The only thing that is really disapointing to me is that nobody can tell from the standings that our car was great, and how much we improved from last year: we dropped the weight to under 500 for the first time (486), increased our chassis stiffness dramatically, ran a.r.b.'s for the first time, stressed the engine for the first time, ran a single inboard rear brake on the sprocket (worked great), manufactured a custom aluminum torsen that was super light, had the rear outboard CV joints inside the upright, had dual length intake runners, etc., etc. And none of our stuff failed... just shite brakes.
So I guess my point is... I hope you got to see our car this year, we're really proud of it... and watch out for us next year. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nate Nantais
University of WIndsor

Nate Notta
05-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Well I'm sure the majority teams come home from the competition having done a lot worse than they hoped... and we definately did here at the U of Windsor this year.
So we had some major brake problems (swapped every caliper and both master cylinders finally to pass brake test) that kept us out of dynamic events until AutoX, and we didnt finish. It all comes down to not finishing early enough, and our engine problems that kept us from testing brakes.
The only thing that is really disapointing to me is that nobody can tell from the standings that our car was great, and how much we improved from last year: we dropped the weight to under 500 for the first time (486), increased our chassis stiffness dramatically, ran a.r.b.'s for the first time, stressed the engine for the first time, ran a single inboard rear brake on the sprocket (worked great), manufactured a custom aluminum torsen that was super light, had the rear outboard CV joints inside the upright, had dual length intake runners, etc., etc. And none of our stuff failed... just shite brakes.
So I guess my point is... I hope you got to see our car this year, we're really proud of it... and watch out for us next year. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nate Nantais
University of WIndsor

Michael Jones
05-26-2004, 05:36 PM
I actually did get to see it for a bit. Certainly one of the many cars out there that made me realize that the competition is getting better and better every year. There are so few cars out there now that are outright incapable of getting through tech, much less a dynamic event. Quite the shift from 2001, when I'd say a good 1/3 of them weren't going anywhere...

Well, best of luck on refining the car, getting a good brakes system down (a constant fun point for us as well, but good this year) and coming back to surprise even more in 2005. It always sucks having to drop out of events based on one weak link that, with a week's more work, could've been fixed.

But as you note, discovering and solving such problems early is the key. Had we competed with our car circa mid March, you might have been hit with a flying wheel or two, since they kinda sheared off for shits and giggles for a bit. Luckily, a design problem you find early if you have the time to do so.

Charlie
05-27-2004, 02:51 AM
Congratulations, you've figured out why we do this. You could teach a few people here a thing or two. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

smciner1
05-27-2004, 03:11 AM
Yes, it is vitally important to get the car frunning as early as possible. You never know what bugs you will find. It will give you a chance to iron them out before the big day.

Michael Jones
05-27-2004, 05:44 PM
2000 numbers were similar - I believe about 20-25% finishing (including a lot of failures in perennial contenders, duly noted by Carroll Smith in final design) with the top team not finishing 13th (that would be us.)

Clearly the quality of competition is increasing, which is great.

Charlie
05-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Huge jump this year!

Last year we had about 765 points for 5th place.

This year, that same amount would garner you a 9th place finish.