PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: Drexler Differential Advice

Holeshot
03-28-2011, 08:38 AM
This year Drexler Motorsport advertised a driveshaft system to complement their Formula Student Differential. Being a relatively new team, we chose to order a Drexler differential and driveshaft system for our 2011 competition vehicle. Having placed our order in January, we have been awaiting the delivery from Drexler, however, we have just been informed that the driveshaft system will not be manufactured in time for the 2011 FSAE competition in Michigan. This has placed our team in a very undesirable position, and we are unsure of how to remedy this situation.

I was wondering if there are any other driveshaft systems that are compatible with the Drexler LSD? We had planned to incorporate the rear tripod housings into our rear hubs, so we would only require the differential side tripod housings, the tripod joints themselves and drive axles. Are any of the taylor race systems compatible?

Any advice that can be provided would be much appreciated.

Bemo
03-28-2011, 08:50 AM
I'm not quite sure which ones exactly. But we used Drexler differentials with drive shafts and tripods/tripod housings from Taylor in the past and it worked quite well.

Holeshot
03-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Bemo,
Thanks for the reply. Do you know which tripod housings you used on the inboard end? Hopefully Drexler has kept the same spline that they used in the past.

Nick Renold
03-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Take some pics and call Scotty from Taylor Race. They are super helpful and will probably be able to find a solution for you.

JasperC
03-28-2011, 04:56 PM
The question is whether the Drexler spline fits with the spline that Taylor use on their stub axles.

Unfortunately, I am pretty sure that they don't (Taylor's Honda Civic stub axles have 27 teeth, and I believe Drexler's internal spline has 25 teeth). Just compare the spline data to make sure.

What you could do, is explain the situation to Drexler and ask them very kindly if they can cut the correct Taylor spline into the sun gear for you.
You'll have to get lucky though, because they have probably finished the current batch of FSAE differentials, and these sun gears are very expensive to manufacture...

Then, the other way around is obviously to ask Taylor if they can make stub axles with the Drexler spline for you.

Good luck with this!

Jasper Coosemans

Chief Drivetrain 2009-2010
DUT Racing Team
Delft University of Technology

Dsenechal
03-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Give Dan at RCV A call. He got our drexler stub axles cut to fit taylor race tripods. Great guy, and he helped us out getting it setup as well.

815-312-5705

Tell him daniel from University of Evansville sent ya!

Holeshot
03-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Dsenechal,
When Drexler sent you the diff they provided the stub axles? This is the part that I don't understand...I don't know if they are sending the diff with or without stub axles.

Dsenechal
03-28-2011, 08:27 PM
No, Drexler only sent the actual differential, and a blank pre-splined aluminum chunk to machine a sprocket adapter out of. No stub axles come with the diff

RCV made us a complete set of stub axles to fit the differential and taylor race tripods. My first post wasnt too clear on this.

Our set was as far as I know the first made to mate up drexler to TRE tripods, so there was a little confusion on length. RCV did a great job getting everything sorted out (as quickly as they could)... Dan is a real stand up guy

Let me know if there is anything I can answer for you. (Just wait until it starts leaking... damn Germans) Good Luck!!

JasperC
03-29-2011, 01:39 AM
We never had leaking problems with our 2010 Drexler diff, I think that was only a problem with the previous design.

Regards,

Jasper

Holeshot
03-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Dsenechal,

We've made contact with Dan at RCV and it looks like they'll be able to help us out. Thanks a lot for the quick replies everyone, we appreciate it.

Dsenechal
03-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by JasperC:
We never had leaking problems with our 2010 Drexler diff, I think that was only a problem with the previous design.

Regards,

Jasper

Haha oh they still leak... ask me how I know!!

Originally posted by Holeshot:
Dsenechal,

We've made contact with Dan at RCV and it looks like they'll be able to help us out. Thanks a lot for the quick replies everyone, we appreciate it.

No problem, glad to point you in the right direction. Dan will get you setup

Holeshot
04-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Dsenechal,

I was wondering what your team used for shaft seals with the Drexler LSD? We were late in receiving our diff and are trying to get everything together to make it to Michigan, but this is providing a bit of a stumbling block.

scotty young Taylor Race
04-28-2011, 03:54 PM
I usually stay here late at night to make sure you will have a diff the next day if you need it..complete bolt in and full of oil...and they don't leak...

I just had to post that....
I will see all you guys at MIS...everybody have safe trip.

scotty
Taylor Race Engineering

Dsenechal
04-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Holeshot:
Dsenechal,

I was wondering what your team used for shaft seals with the Drexler LSD? We were late in receiving our diff and are trying to get everything together to make it to Michigan, but this is providing a bit of a stumbling block.

I sent you a PM

Originally posted by scotty young Taylor Race:
I usually stay here late at night to make sure you will have a diff the next day if you need it..complete bolt in and full of oil...and they don't leak...

I just had to post that....
I will see all you guys at MIS...everybody have safe trip.

scotty
Taylor Race Engineering

Something to be said for that, always got good service from you guys. For the record, drive shafts, tripods, and CV's are still TRE! Imported parts are a pain!

scotty young Taylor Race
04-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Right on....and thank you for the business and support....

scotty