PDA

View Full Version : Composite Steering Wheel

Erick Scarpone
06-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi Guys I hope everyone that's going to West Competition is doing fine and best of lucks to the team that is having engine trobels at the moment.

Well I wanted to know some info on how to begin the manufacturing of a steering wheel I have several Ideas and question about them, any help is very appriciated thanks.

Mold material, for making the Steering Core: We have think of Balsa wood (Higly Crafmantship needed here), Wax and machine it, aluminium. (Dont have the stocks and we dont know if we can get the cutting tools to do this (this is the best option becouse we would leave a core to work for many years. If the steering wheel actually works.

Ok core material so far, where thinking on the foam, that expands maybe sanding the details and go directly to rap it with fiber with the epoxy and vacum it (we dont have an autoclave).

And well besides the detail of putting a piece of aluminum sheet for the quick release/steering colum conection I havent realy thinck of anything else.

Can anyone give inputs on this I'm very interested in materials for mold, Materials for the core, and reinforcements on the steering conection. Thanks

If anyone can post picks on there manufacturing process it would be great help to get a clear idea on how to do this.

Erick

Erick Scarpone
06-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi Guys I hope everyone that's going to West Competition is doing fine and best of lucks to the team that is having engine trobels at the moment.

Well I wanted to know some info on how to begin the manufacturing of a steering wheel I have several Ideas and question about them, any help is very appriciated thanks.

Mold material, for making the Steering Core: We have think of Balsa wood (Higly Crafmantship needed here), Wax and machine it, aluminium. (Dont have the stocks and we dont know if we can get the cutting tools to do this (this is the best option becouse we would leave a core to work for many years. If the steering wheel actually works.

Ok core material so far, where thinking on the foam, that expands maybe sanding the details and go directly to rap it with fiber with the epoxy and vacum it (we dont have an autoclave).

And well besides the detail of putting a piece of aluminum sheet for the quick release/steering colum conection I havent realy thinck of anything else.

Can anyone give inputs on this I'm very interested in materials for mold, Materials for the core, and reinforcements on the steering conection. Thanks

If anyone can post picks on there manufacturing process it would be great help to get a clear idea on how to do this.

Erick

Lexusteck
06-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Will you be at the WEST event? If so, see the Kansas University team for a good example of a Carbon fiber steering wheel. They can give you some good design and construction ideas.

Erick Scarpone
06-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Not really but would love to get in touch with them, if you can give an e-mail or something it would be great.
Thanks!

Corey H
07-08-2007, 03:24 PM
We went with the original composite this year...plywood. It did not weigh too much more than our older carbon fiber steering wheels but I can guarantee you that no one cringed when our driver threw it across the room for egress.

Erick Scarpone
07-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey corey I still have question about two things about making the final steering wheel.

First one would be in the attachment of the quickrelease to it. I just put a cloth piece of aluminium so it dosent corroed with the carbon, and go ahead and bolted or I need to deign a special fixture.
And second one would be how you guys glue both sides togheter? A special bond or just put some extra clothes of CF? Thanks if anyone can send pictures of the manufacturing process I would apreciated my e-mail is eass_18@hotmail.com

Wesley
07-10-2007, 11:42 AM
We had a nice and light bonded-carbon balsa wood steering wheel this year. Glued expanding foam grips onto it (made from an aluminum mold,) and mounted the quick release with aluminum plates on either side. It's pretty rigid, and very light.

I would suggest using something other than Plasti-Dip for the handle coatings though, it tends to just flake off. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif