PDA

View Full Version : GSX R600 in FSAE

simonsuarez
04-27-2004, 07:37 PM
hi i was wondering wich one of you guys uses a suzuki engine instead of the very popular honda CBR what pros and cons you´ve seen of using this engine? We´re in the process of building our first car and hopefully travel to pontiac next year. thanks

Simon Suarez
FSAE-LUZ Team
Maracaibo, Venezuela
fsae-luz@cantv.net

A Reinke
05-04-2004, 10:10 AM
we're using one for the third year in a row. pro is it makes more power than a Honda or Yamaha (in 2001/2002) stock form. con, the clutch is a beast to pull on.

Kirk Feldkamp
05-04-2004, 11:38 AM
You've noticed the clutch thing too, huh? I've found that if you leave the adjustment somewhere mid-pull on a lever setup you can alleviate most of the tension issues. How have you guys remedied the tight pull issue? We'll probably end up making a hydraulic foot pedal for the next car.

I haven't taken the time to do the dimensional analysis of the different engines, but i'm pretty sure the gsxrs are a lot taller and a lot wider than the other motors. I seem to remember that most DSR's tend to use other motors because the gsxr is about 4 inches wider and a few inches taller. I'm sure this has been discussed in length at some point on this forum. Check it out with the find function.

-Kirk
UC Berkeley

Grover
05-04-2004, 04:56 PM
???

please tell me you've tried making a longer clutch actuation lever (at the clutch cover) to reduce your cable tension.

Sound like a plan?

simonsuarez
05-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Hey thanks a lot guys. Another question though do you have the dimensions for the engine because we haven´t been able to start our chassis preliminar designs since the engine is on its way by boat (3weeks)? Ours is a 2003 GSX just some estimete figures would be ok Thanks guys

Simon Suarez
Equipo FSAE-LUZ
Maracaibo, Venezuela
fsae-luz@cantv.net

A Reinke
05-04-2004, 08:43 PM
we've gone to using a hydraulic clutch, which has worked really great.

Kirk Feldkamp
05-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Hey Grover... the gsxrs don't use a lever to actuate the clutch at the crankcase. Know what you're talking about before you sound dumb.

-Kirk
UC Berkeley