PDA

View Full Version : Blade adjustable anti-roll bar

azlan187
05-09-2012, 06:03 AM
Hi guys, I am designing a blade adjustable anti-roll bar for my uni FSAE team car next year. For the blade arm, does anyone know how to design it? I assume it as a simply supported beam but I'm not sure. Could cantilever beam be a better assumption?

Cheers
Azlan

azlan187
05-09-2012, 06:03 AM
Hi guys, I am designing a blade adjustable anti-roll bar for my uni FSAE team car next year. For the blade arm, does anyone know how to design it? I assume it as a simply supported beam but I'm not sure. Could cantilever beam be a better assumption?

Cheers
Azlan

Dsenechal
05-09-2012, 09:16 AM
FBD that shit

Drew Price
05-09-2012, 10:25 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20202239.jpg

azlan187
05-09-2012, 01:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drew Price:
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20202239.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand your point

Drew Price
05-09-2012, 02:25 PM
You're solving for two springs in series.

Draw a free-body diagram of your blade link to resolve the deflection. The angle of twist of the anti-roll bar (for the total input force) minus the angular change of the blade link due to deflection gives you the angle of twist of the bar with a blade link of that bending stiffness.

Decide how much deflection you want in the 'soft' orientation of the blade, and how much (if any) you want in the 'stiff' orientation to give yourself the % adjustability in the ARB that you desire.

Design the geometry of the blade links to give you that stiffness.

Think of it another way, any amount that the blade link bends (deflects) when loaded does not get turned into an angle of twist of the anti-roll bar.

That does NOT mean that the force input going through the blade links disappears, there is still loading in the deflected blade link, the force is just less than if all the load was solely deflecting the ARB. The total stiffness is the stiffness of the two links and the bar summed together.

azlan187
05-09-2012, 08:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drew Price:
You're solving for two springs in series.

Draw a free-body diagram of your blade link to resolve the deflection. The angle of twist of the anti-roll bar (for the total input force) minus the angular change of the blade link due to deflection gives you the angle of twist of the bar with a blade link of that bending stiffness.

Decide how much deflection you want in the 'soft' orientation of the blade, and how much (if any) you want in the 'stiff' orientation to give yourself the % adjustability in the ARB that you desire.

Design the geometry of the blade links to give you that stiffness.

Think of it another way, any amount that the blade link bends (deflects) when loaded does not get turned into an angle of twist of the anti-roll bar.

That does NOT mean that the force input going through the blade links disappears, there is still loading in the deflected blade link, the force is just less than if all the load was solely deflecting the ARB. The total stiffness is the stiffness of the two links and the bar summed together. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I understand what you mean..FBD = free body diagram..THanks http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif