PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Wildcat13
07-22-2004, 10:27 PM
I was just wondering what other teams have done in dealing with the ever present insurance issue. It seems like one of those topics that is swept under the rug whenever possible, but necessary at the same time. Our uni's deparment responsible for insurance and liability won't even cover our advisor right now because he doesn't live in the car. We are in the process of round 2 right now, but I don't know how far we will get. Any advice? We have all the standard waiver and safety checklists covered, and are willing to abide to whatever regulations they want.

Ryan Kanto
University of Arizona FSAE

Wildcat13
07-22-2004, 10:27 PM
I was just wondering what other teams have done in dealing with the ever present insurance issue. It seems like one of those topics that is swept under the rug whenever possible, but necessary at the same time. Our uni's deparment responsible for insurance and liability won't even cover our advisor right now because he doesn't live in the car. We are in the process of round 2 right now, but I don't know how far we will get. Any advice? We have all the standard waiver and safety checklists covered, and are willing to abide to whatever regulations they want.

Ryan Kanto
University of Arizona FSAE

J. Schmidt
07-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Insurance? Do you mean insurance from the university to cover students/faculty while on a school-related trip, to cover the FSAE car in case of an accident (I wonder if UW Madison is looking into this now), or the insurance that the drivers need to present at the competition?

As far as UWP goes, we're covered under our own insurance. If we're in a university vehicle than that's covered under the uni's insurance. Now, if a student gets injured while testing the formula car on campus, that raises an intersting question. Perhaps this is what you are refering to. In this case UWP students are on their own and the university is not liable

Charlie
07-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Yeah I am not sure what you mean either. And not sure I want to, in case our uni gets any ideas...

Wildcat13
07-23-2004, 04:21 PM
I was wondering about liability insurance covering our team when practicing at an off-campus location. One practice location we have is nice enough to sign us off on their own insurance, but I doubt we will find anyone else who will. We are looking into getting a more suitable practice site and I know they are going to ask us if we have insurance, I want to tell them yes.

Ryan