PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger Bypass Valves

PedalOnTheRight
11-02-2007, 12:48 PM
After searching the forums, there is only one other topic regarding bypass valves, with some general information included.

My question is more to the teams who run superchargers (roots or centrifugal type). What type of bypass valves have you tried and what is your review on these different styles?

The simplest option seems to be a mechanical-vacuum operated bypass valve. However there are teams who have run electrically controlled valves in the past.

The fear is that in using a solenoid operated unit, the opening and closing of the valve resembles an "on-off" switch at a certain TPS voltage - which may cause a problem with power application.

If you have experience with vacuum operated bypass valves, which company did you chose and were you happy with the result?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

PedalOnTheRight
11-02-2007, 12:48 PM
After searching the forums, there is only one other topic regarding bypass valves, with some general information included.

My question is more to the teams who run superchargers (roots or centrifugal type). What type of bypass valves have you tried and what is your review on these different styles?

The simplest option seems to be a mechanical-vacuum operated bypass valve. However there are teams who have run electrically controlled valves in the past.

The fear is that in using a solenoid operated unit, the opening and closing of the valve resembles an "on-off" switch at a certain TPS voltage - which may cause a problem with power application.

If you have experience with vacuum operated bypass valves, which company did you chose and were you happy with the result?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

PedalOnTheRight
11-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Anyone?

kapps
11-05-2007, 08:23 PM
I can speak for the roots type on the MINI Cooper S. It has a vacuum operated valve built into the supercharger. Everything depends on the spring. If you put too light a spring in, transitions will be jerky as the valve slams open and closed repeatedly. Too stiff a spring and you'll never (or hardly ever) run in bypass mode. Also, make sure the valve seals properly.

Why do you want to run a bypass valve? Are you planning on using an intercooler? I know people who have run with them ziptied closed. It's not the best option on the street but on the racetrack...