PDA

View Full Version : Half shaft filler rod length

dmacke
06-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I am using the taylor race halfshafts and tripods. I need to cut the black filler rod to the right length but I can't find any info on it. Could someone please point me in the right direction or let me know how to do it. Thanks for your help in advance.

Ben K
06-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Please see:

http://www.taylor-race.com/pdf/plungingsystem11.jpg

Ben

dmacke
06-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks. I appreciate it.

dmacke
06-10-2011, 12:07 AM
For the 1/16 roll pin am i supposed to drill into the short plunger?

Nick Renold
06-10-2011, 02:43 PM
For the roll pin, you can press it through the short plunger when you assemble it, but Scotty recommended to drill through the plunger so it would assemble easier. Also prevents possible cracking of the plastic part.

We had trouble with drilling the holes in the halfshafts due breaking 1/16 drill bits, so we used a small end mill (3/32?) and relied on the circlip to hold the roll pin in place.

Nick Renold
06-10-2011, 02:45 PM
If you are having these questions (like I was at this point) I would recommend thoroughly browsing the Taylor race drawings, as well as calling Taylor Race because there may be other things you don't know you should be doing.

We had our tripod joints destroy things in the rear of our car a few times, so the time spent now to ask lots of questions and do it properly is definitely worth it.

Ben K
06-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Nick Renold:
For the roll pin, you can press it through the short plunger when you assemble it, but Scotty recommended to drill through the plunger so it would assemble easier. Also prevents possible cracking of the plastic part.

We had trouble with drilling the holes in the halfshafts due breaking 1/16 drill bits, so we used a small end mill (3/32?) and relied on the circlip to hold the roll pin in place.

The halfshafts are hardened to holy hell. Buy a 1/8" carbide drill for those roll-pins.

scotty young Taylor Race
06-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Sorry I missed this ones guys..I was sleepin...

Ben and Nick are right on with the drilling for the roll pin ...Let me know if you have any questions dmacke.
Thanks for Ben and Nick for coverin me....

scotty

Thrainer
06-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Last year, I used a regular HSS drill to mount a 2 mm spring pin. It was metric, though.

You can press fit the pin into the filler rod, if the hole in the driveshaft is too big.