PDA

View Full Version : pushrod adjustment

chavez
04-02-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm curious to know what they call and where they sell the little inline turnbuckles that some teams use to adjust their pushrods and toe links. It seemed like a pretty simple setup using a left and right-hand thread with a hex in the middle to provide the adjustment. Off the top of my head, I seem to remember ETS running them on their car.

chavez
04-02-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm curious to know what they call and where they sell the little inline turnbuckles that some teams use to adjust their pushrods and toe links. It seemed like a pretty simple setup using a left and right-hand thread with a hex in the middle to provide the adjustment. Off the top of my head, I seem to remember ETS running them on their car.

Kirk Feldkamp
04-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Chassis Shop sells them. The catalog is on their website. They're relatively pricey, but they have the potential to save you a bunch of time depending on your machining resources.

-Kirk

chavez
04-02-2008, 01:02 PM
I think you might have misunderstood me, I'm not talking about hex tube adapters. Its a turnbuckle, usually located in the center of the pushrod, that contains a left and right hand thread that is used to adjust the length instead of using the classic rodend/jamnut combination on either end.

flavorPacket
04-02-2008, 02:52 PM
CNC lathe + hex stock + tap + threading tool + 8 minutes=adjuster

Biggy72
04-02-2008, 03:26 PM
you don't need a cnc lathe.... it may take a little longer on a manual lathe but I'll bet you could make one in half an hour.

exFSAE
04-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Personally I wouldn't put it in the middle of the pushrod. At that point you better get everything lined up damn well, wouldn't take much misalignment to really stress that stuff and put a big bending moment on it..

Personally I'd say to run a normal setup.. steel tube with two threaded inserts at both ends, which rod-ends thread in to. Machine flats on the end of the tube so you can wrench em down tight.

Beyond that I'd take some uncoated mild steel nuts, or drilled out hex stock, and slide it on the tube and weld it in the center. I mean that's how your going to set up a pushrod anyway, so why not throw the hex on the middle?

Machining the threaded inserts on both ends is super easy. Get some 1144 round stock (it machines like BUTTER). Hop on your favorite toolroom lathe. Grab some good split point drills. Quick drill through with a small bit (tap drill for whatever thread your rod end is). Take a bigger drill, bore out some meat on the side that'll slip in the tube. Turn down the OD to proper diameter. Part it, turn it around, clean up the parted face.

Toss it in a collet block (or collet vice ideally) upright in a mill. Powertap the thread. Machine the two flats with 1 pass with an EM quick. D-U-N.

Could make a whole set real easy in a night.

I believe McMaster rates 1144 as "difficult" to weld.. but it TIG's to 4130 tube real easy.

duckei
04-18-2008, 09:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:

Machining the threaded inserts on both ends is super easy. Get some 1144 round stock (it machines like BUTTER). Hop on your favorite toolroom lathe. Grab some good split point drills. Quick drill through with a small bit (tap drill for whatever thread your rod end is). Take a bigger drill, bore out some meat on the side that'll slip in the tube. Turn down the OD to proper diameter. Part it, turn it around, clean up the parted face.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mmmm, I also recommend a big Bolthouse C-Boost and some trance music...