PDA

View Full Version : Tanner Shocks

Demon Of Speed
10-14-2010, 09:51 AM
I am looking for new shocks for our 2011 car, and am interested in hearing opinions on Tanner shocks. We ran cane creek double barrels dampers in the past and had problems with them having too much damping. if we were to run the CCDB on the 2011 car we would then need a new set for the 2009 car. I have looked through the forums and the most resent info is from 2006. My questions to the teams that have used tanner dampers recently: do they leak, are the dyno curves consistent, which type you have (G2, G2 adjustable, G3, P4), and how much of a pain is it testing with them (rebuilding them to change shims and valves)?

Demon Of Speed
10-14-2010, 09:51 AM
I am looking for new shocks for our 2011 car, and am interested in hearing opinions on Tanner shocks. We ran cane creek double barrels dampers in the past and had problems with them having too much damping. if we were to run the CCDB on the 2011 car we would then need a new set for the 2009 car. I have looked through the forums and the most resent info is from 2006. My questions to the teams that have used tanner dampers recently: do they leak, are the dyno curves consistent, which type you have (G2, G2 adjustable, G3, P4), and how much of a pain is it testing with them (rebuilding them to change shims and valves)?

Joe17
10-14-2010, 10:17 AM
We just ordered G2 adjustables, seems like a good budget shock. I have the graphs of the different rates they come in, pm me if you want it

scott_rfr
10-14-2010, 10:31 AM
We ran tanners for a couple of years before switching to the CCDB. If your going from the CCDB to the Tanner you are going to be massively disappointed. I wouldn't call the tanners as much as a damper as they are just a spring guide. The leak (a lot), are very inconsistent, the valves/piston are a joke.

If your looking for a good budget damper check out Shadow Racing Products "Shockzilla". Yes the company is owned by one of our own alumni but that is not influencing my opinion. I have seen them run on our 2005 car that is kept up by recently graduate alumni of. The shockzilla is roughly same size and price as the tanners, as they were designed for the same purpose. However they do not leak (do not confusing leaking with fluid on the damper shaft either!!) and you can get great tech support from the guys at shadow racing and they can build some curves for you and send you the graphs.

If your looking for something else I would look into the Kaz Technologies non-adj they are coming out with for this season. Its the same damper as the double adjustable, and you can buy the adjustable pieces latter on to save some money.

Scott
Rutgers SAE 07-10
President/Chassis

Demon Of Speed
10-14-2010, 12:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scott_rfr:
We ran tanners for a couple of years before switching to the CCDB. If your going from the CCDB to the Tanner you are going to be massively disappointed. I wouldn't call the tanners as much as a damper as they are just a spring guide. The leak (a lot), are very inconsistent, the valves/piston are a joke.

If your looking for something else I would look into the Kaz Technologies non-adj they are coming out with for this season. Its the same damper as the double adjustable, and you can buy the adjustable pieces latter on to save some money.

Scott
Rutgers SAE 07-10
President/Chassis </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How would you say Tanner dampers compare to Risse dampers?

I am interested in the Kaz Technologies non-adj. but am still waiting to see where the price falls.

Adambomb
10-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Another one to consider, if you have stooped to the level of comparing to Risse shocks, are Penske quarter-midget shocks. They are relatively big and heavy, and not adjustable, but they work very well and as I recall they were under $200 a piece, custom valved.

As far as being non-adjustable, that may sound like a real drawback, but consider the fact that with most cheap adjustable shocks I've played with in FSAE, turning the knobs to the limit often wouldn't even get you into the ballpark of good damping. With the Penske's, they'll valve them to whatever spec you tell them to and provide dyno sheets. Not absolutely perfect, but much much closer than an "adjustable" one that won't even get you in the ballpark. They can also go a whole lot softer than the CCDB's.

bob.paasch
10-14-2010, 01:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adambomb:
Another one to consider, if you have stooped to the level of comparing to Risse shocks, are Penske quarter-midget shocks. They are relatively big and heavy, and not adjustable, but they work very well and as I recall they were under $200 a piece, custom valved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The place to get the Penske 7800s is the shock shop:

www . shock-shop.com/

ucar
10-15-2010, 01:44 PM
We used them in our first year. They don't deserve to call them dampers at all, as somebody has already said they are only spring guides.

In our case they didn't leak, but they where VERY inconsistent. After testing them in the bench we ended up with four different curves (out of four) and several broken valves!!

eightballracing
10-16-2010, 01:35 PM
I'll echo what others have said. The experience I have had with the Tanners was lots of inconsistency and lots and lots of leaking. I would never use them again.

For the past few years our team has used Penske 7800s. It's a good budget shock though maybe a bit heavy. We sent them right to Penske in PA and had them custom valved to what we wanted and had them back in a week.

If you guys have the money and data acquisition capabilities I would suggest taking a look at the KAZ Dampers. They look like very good dampers, and the engineers I talked to at MIS were extremely knowledgeable.

BMH
10-16-2010, 06:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bob.paasch:

www . shock-shop.com/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have the direct link? I didn't see the 7800s on there.

coastertrav
10-20-2010, 03:01 PM
We've always used the penske shocks at UCF. Had them valved perfectly to our calculations, and always been happy with their performance. We have three sets of four kicking around, and not one of them leak (with at least one set being to hell and back).

Packaging can be rough, and they aren't light, but we've yet to find anything better for the price.

BMH
10-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Where could I get the Penske 7800 Shocks at (besides from KAZ)?

Also, Everyone says the Penske shocks are heavy...how much do they weigh?

Nick Renold
10-21-2010, 01:21 AM
@BMH: The 7800 from KAZ and the 7800 from other shops are not the same models.

BMH
10-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Nick: I am already aware of that. All I want to know is where I can find the base level Penske 7800 Shock (besides from KAZ).

bob.paasch
10-21-2010, 08:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BMH:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bob.paasch:

www . shock-shop.com/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have the direct link? I didn't see the 7800s on there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just give Chris Billings a phone call. He is often a design judge for FSAE and is knowledgable about the cars and their needs.