PDA

View Full Version : 08 CBR600RR Exhaust

Ally_UGR
03-21-2009, 05:22 AM
Hey all, i've searched the forums a fair bit for exhaust threads and have been using A.G.Bell for working out my lengths and such, i think i'm almost there.

My problem is that this is my 1st year of doing Formula Student and only the 2nd Year Glasgow University has built a car, as such our knowledge base is pretty limited. I'm also an aero engineer student so my experience with using CAD/Solidworks was non existant until last week. I'm wondering if anyone has a CAD drawing of a stock CRB600RR exhaust or something similar than i can check my calculations against(so i know im not doing something stupid), or indeed if anyone can point me in the direction of an easy tutorial in modelling exhausts in CAD.

Cheers

Ally_UGR
03-21-2009, 05:22 AM
Hey all, i've searched the forums a fair bit for exhaust threads and have been using A.G.Bell for working out my lengths and such, i think i'm almost there.

My problem is that this is my 1st year of doing Formula Student and only the 2nd Year Glasgow University has built a car, as such our knowledge base is pretty limited. I'm also an aero engineer student so my experience with using CAD/Solidworks was non existant until last week. I'm wondering if anyone has a CAD drawing of a stock CRB600RR exhaust or something similar than i can check my calculations against(so i know im not doing something stupid), or indeed if anyone can point me in the direction of an easy tutorial in modelling exhausts in CAD.

Cheers

Maverik
03-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Gotta start out like the rest of us powertrain guys... start drawing! If you know your theoretical sizes already, and the layout, then conceptualize something, look at the room you have to work with and try to draw it in cad. The easiest way I ever did it was essentially wire frames that you can loft a given cross section along. It lets you easily see interference and change the line geometry until you are happy... oh, most of the time it lets you measure the total arc length=runner length. Good luck, it can be quite frustrating.

Hondarider_87
03-24-2009, 05:57 AM
I know when I did ours in solid works, I found it easier to build it in a 3-D sketch, and then use weldment pipe profiles. The hardest part of doing it this way is making sure your sketch is constrained well enough that it’s easy to make small changes to each runner to get to equal length. Weldments also make it really easy to get your cut list when the time comes to move out of CAD world to the actual build.

Oh and don't think you will get it equal length on the first try. Between me and the other guy working on it, we have roughly 30 iterations.

Mikey Antonakakis
03-24-2009, 06:21 PM
First of all, make sure your bend radii are realistic, or in other words, bends you can go out and buy (or get someone to bend for you). From there, try to build it in CAD the same way you would build it in real life; cutting different lengths of bent tubing. In Pro|E at least, I found it was easiest to make single bends and assemble them. The planes my bends lie in are all offset 90 degrees and in the model I got the runners (only 8") to be within 0.005" of each other. Obviously this will work a little differently depending on your design, but it worked well for me. I didn't have to do too many iterations. The hardest part is working around tubes you can easily purchase.